Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies

Will I have to pay?

Will I have to pay?

Probably. Your financial circumstances will be assessed to see how much you need to contribute towards the cost of your care. Further information is set out on our webpages. Some people have to pay the full cost of their care.

You can see if you are financially eligible by using our checker

If you are moving into residential care permanently and have capital (including property) or savings over the upper capital limit (£23,250) you will have to pay the full cost of your care. In this case you are called a self-funder.

The council will only fund residential care for assessed needs, so even if you are self-funding it is really important to get a Financial Assessment before choosing a care home to see how long you can support yourself financially.

However, it is possible that certain types of assets, savings or property could be disregarded and therefore it is in your best interests to ask for a financial assessment.

We can then advise you on your own particular circumstances. If we calculate that you can afford to pay for your care home fees yourself then you can make the arrangements with the care home of your choice directly.

Your social care practitioner can give you advice and guidance on choosing a home and support you in this process. It is important at this point that you think about how you will pay for your care home fees - good financial advice and planning is crucial. 

The process of finding a care home can take some time, and in some rare cases take several months.  As such, it is recommended you approach the council four months before your funds are likely to drop below the upper capital level (currently £23,250), when you will need funding assistance. Find out more about the process for arranging funding assistance from the council.

There are no results that match your search criteria