Any new admission appeals received after 16 September 2020 will not be heard until during November 2020.
The information below explains your right to appeal against the refusal to offer you a place in your preferred school and sets out the appeal process which will be followed.
On the 24 April 2020 the Department for Education/Central Government issued new Regulations for the handling of School Admission Appeals during the Coronavirus (COVID 19) emergency in view of the social distancing requirements in operation.
Under those Regulations we have recently introduced a new system which will involve Appeal Panels meeting virtually (online) and considering all appeals on the basis of written information only. This system will apply until January 2021 but will be reviewed as and when changes are made to the COVID 19 restrictions.
If you wish to lodge an Appeal you should continue to do so in accordance with the deadline given to you.
We will contact you with details of the system for that Appeal to be heard
If you have been refused a place at your preferred Staffordshire school and you are dissatisfied with the school place offered, you have the right to lodge a formal appeal against this decision to an Independent Appeals Panel.
There are two types of appeal:
- Ordinary – For all Secondary and Middle Schools and some Primary schools
- Infant Class Size – For Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 in Primary schools where a place has been refused as, by law, the class may not contain more than 30 children with a single qualified teacher. For further guidance please read this information.
Note: There is no right of appeal for admission to a maintained nursery.
The FAQ’s explains the new appeals process in detail. Please ensure that you read this before appealing.
- If you are appealing for a reception, year 1 or year 2 place we suggest that you research ‘infant class size initiative’ so you are aware of the restrictions or take a look at our guidance.
- You can only appeal for a place if you have had a refusal. If you have not received a school offer, please speak to the Admissions Team on 0300 111 8007 who will be able to tell you which schools may have availability in your area.
- We recommend you take a look at the Admission Policy for the school you are appealing for so you are familiar with their admissions criteria – these can usually be found on the school’s website or on our list of arrangements for primary, first, infant, junior and middle schools, or arrangements for high or secondary schools.
- Waiting lists – for information on where you child is on the waiting list, please contact the Admissions Team on 0300 111 8007.
- All correspondence concerning your appeal will be sent via email so please make sure that the email address you give us is for an account that you have access to and monitor.
- You will be given at least 14 calendar days’ notice of your appeal date.
- Start to gather any supporting information you would like the Independent Appeal Panel to see and submit either with your appeal form or by the deadline that we will give you when we notify you of the details for your appeal hearing.
- We will send you a statement from the relevant admission authority as to why the refusal was made at least seven days before your appeal hearing date. We will give you the opportunity to submit questions/receive answers about that Statement. Copies of the Questions/answers will also be forwarded to the Panel.
- Decisions are sent within seven calendar days of the appeal date. We are not able to give the outcome over the telephone.
- Should you wish to withdraw your appeal at any point, you will need to notify us in writing to email@example.com
- For further information on appeals for the School Admissions and Transport Service please call 0300 111 8007
How do I appeal?
Please note that you will need to complete one form per school appealed.
Please note: any appeals received after 16 September 2020 will not be heard until November 2020
Submit your appeal using our online form.
Alternatively you can complete the form below:
For further information on how we collect, use and store your personal information, please take a look at our privacy notice.