Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button. No, give me more info

We are experiencing technical issues with some of our applications, please bear with us whilst we work to fix the issues. If you have any urgent problems, please contact 0300 111 8000.

Can I put cones out to prevent someone parking?

Can I put cones out to prevent someone parking?

Under the Highways Act 1980 it is an offence to obstruct the highway without permission from the local highway authority. We do not allow permission for cones to be placed on the highway by residents. Public highways are intended for the passing and repassing of traffic, and not for the private use of the residents.

For this reason we cannot agree to supply cones for residents to preserve parking areas but residents may wish to browse the information on our website regarding residents parking zones. These schemes require full support of the residents as there are bespoke fees for applying and then ongoing costs for the permits.

In the meantime, if non-resident parking is causing obstruction to private accesses, then this is a matter that the police can respond to by identifying vehicle owners and issuing on the spot fines if necessary.

There are no results that match your search criteria