Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies

Are children / young people with statements of Special Educational Needs (SEN) still able to be EHE?

Are children / young people with statements of Special Educational Needs (SEN) still able to be EHE?

Parents have the same rights to home educate a child with a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN), but a statement of SEN is a legal document imposing certain duties upon Children's Services. There will need to be close consultation with parents to ensure that the needs identified in the statement are being met. (Further details can be found in the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice, 2001, pages 112-113). The local authority retains a duty to ensure the child's needs are met, to maintain the statement and to review it annually, following the procedures set out in the Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs. Parents are always involved in the review process. Part 4 of a statement can identify provision otherwise than at school, which is considered appropriate. If your child is registered at a special school named in their Statement of Special Educational Needs, you cannot de-register them to be home educated without the agreement of the local authority.

Support for pupils who are experiencing difficulties at school and for the schools trying to help them is provided through 4 District Offices. Each District Office is the base for a number of service teams that go to make up the large District SEN and Inclusion Support Team.

There are no results that match your search criteria