Staffordshire Police, Fire and Crime Panel
The role of Police and Crime Commissioner for Staffordshire was created in 2012 to oversee the provision of effective and efficient policing services, including community safety and crime prevention.
At that time the Staffordshire Police and Crime Panel was also created to represent the public in holding the Commissioner to account.
On 1 August 2018 the Commissioners remit was extended to include governance of the Fire and Rescue Service in Staffordshire. The role is now entitled Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for Staffordshire.
Correspondingly the Panel's remit was extended to reflect the Commissioner's new responsiblities and its title was amended to Police, Fire and Crime Panel for Staffordshire.
The Panel's Role
The specific role of the panel is 'to scrutinise the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, to promote openness in the transaction of Police and Fire and Rescue business and also to support the Commissioner in the effective exercise of their functions'.
Included in the work of the Panel is:
- scrutiny of decisions made by the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner
- scrutiny of the Commissioners Precepts (one each for the Police Service and the Fire and Rescue Service)
- contributing to the development of the Police and Crime Plan and Fire Plan
- reviewing proposed appointment to key posts including the Chief Constable and Chief Fire Officer
- scrutinising at a Public meeting, the Commissioners Annual Report and Fire and Rescue Statement of Assurance
- consider complaints against the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (NB. Not complaints against the Staffordshire Police Force or the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service)
The Staffordshire Police, Fire and Crime Panel is made up of one representative of each of the principal local authorities in the County, together with two independent members. Their details are as follows:-
Staffordshire County Council - Councillor Stephen Sweeney (Chairman)
Stoke on Trent City Council - Councillor Randolph Conteh
Cannock Chase District Council - Councillor Carl Bennett
East Staffordshire Borough Council - Councillor Simon Gaskin
Lichfield District Council - Councillor Ashley Yeates
Newcastle Under Lyme Borough Council - Councillor Jill Waring
Stafford Borough Council - Councillor Ann Edgeller
Staffordshire Moorlands District Council - Councillor Peter Jackson
South Staffordshire District Council - Councillor Brian Edwards
Tamworth Borough Council - Councillor Stephen Doyle
Mr Paul Darby (Vice-Chairman)
Mr Keith Walker
You can find out more about this committee on our Staffordshire Police, Fire and Crime Panel meetings page.
The Home Office provides funding to Panels to cover support, running costs and expenses.
A condition of the grant being awarded is that its allocation is publicised.
View the expenditure for 2017/18 (86 KB)
View the expenditure for 2016/17 (8 KB)
View the expenditure for 2015/16 (14 KB)