Staffordshire Police and Crime Panel
In November 2012 the people of Staffordshire elected their first Police and Crime Commissioner.
The Commissioner's role has been established under the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 to oversee the provision of effective and efficient policing services, including community safety and crime prevention.
As part of the measures in place to hold the Commissioner to account to the public the Act also introduced Police and Crime Panels - one for each Police Force area.
The Panel's Role
The specific role of the panel is 'to scrutinise the Police and Crime Commissioner, to promote openness in the transaction of police business and also to support the Police Crime Commissioner in the effective exercise of their functions'.
Included in the work of the Panel is:
- scrutiny of decisions made by the Police and Crime Commissioner
- scrutiny of the Commissioners Precept
- contributing to the development of the Police and Crime Plan
- reviewing proposed appointment to key posts including the Chief Constable and the Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner
- scrutinising at a Public meeting, the Commissioners Annual Report
- consider complaints against the Police and Crime Commissioner (NB. Not complaints against the Staffordshire Police Force)
The Staffordshire Police and Crime Panel is made up of one representative of each of the principal local authorities in the County, together with two independent members. Their details are as follows:-
Staffordshire County Council
Councillor David Williams (Chairman)
Stoke on Trent City Council
Councillor Randolph Conteh
Cannock Chase District Council
Councillor Carl Bennett
East Staffordshire Borough Council
Councillor Deneice Florence-Jukes
Lichfield District Council
Councillor Doug Pullen
Newcastle Under Lyme Borough Council
Councillor Tony Kearon
Stafford Borough Council
Councillor Ann Edgeller
Staffordshire Moorlands District Council
Councillor Peter Jackson
South Staffordshire District Council
Councillor Brian Edwards
Tamworth Borough Council
Councillor Stephen Doyle
Mr Paul Darby (Vice-Chairman)
Mr Keith Walker
You can find out more about this committee on our Staffordshire Police and Crime Panel meetings page.