A449 Gravelly Way Four Ashes
A449 – Gravelly Way Junction Scheme Phase 2
Staffordshire County Council led infrastructure developments to improve access to the Business Park at Four Ashes, South Staffordshire are under way.
The site is now ready for major business development by the private developer Bericote Properties.
The 52-acre site development by the private developer Bericote Properties will provide more than 900,000 square feet of industrial floor space, potentially creating up to 1,080 jobs.
Gestamp, one of Europe’s leading manufacturer of metal autoparts for the automotive industry, will relocate from its current site onto a 550,000 sq ft plot on Four Ashes Park– demonstrating strong investor confidence in Staffordshire and UK economy.
What is it being done?
Staffordshire County Council and their partnership contractors, Amey, are carrying out the infrastructure works on the A449 at its junction with Gravelly Way and Crateford Lane, near Four Ashes having secured Pinch Point funding from the Department for Transport in partnership with Bericote properties and SI Group.
Phase 2 comprises :
- Upgrading the existing crossroads to a traffic signal controlled junction with right turn lanes into Gravelly Way and Crateford Lane
- Providing pedestrian and cycle route provision and toucan crossings to facilitate movements across the A449
- Improve safety and reduce community severance
Who is paying for it?
The improvements are backed by the Government’s Local Growth Fund, with £1.91million allocated by the Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Enterprise Partnership.
How long will the works last?
Phase 2 enabling works started in November 2016, undertaking diversion of WPD electricity and BT telephone equipment.
The main scheme commenced on 1st March 2017 and is estimated to take 8 months.
Timetable of Closures and Temporary Traffic Management:
The works are to be carried out under a phased traffic management system which will include lane closures, gap closure, closure of Crateford Lane for the duration of the works, reduced speed limit to 40mph, part time temporary traffic signals to A449 and Gravelly Way as required.
In order for the work to take place safely, phased lane closures have been put in place and a temporary 40mph limit on that stretch of road. The first three weekend closures enabled work to be completed successfully.
The remainder of the weekend closures all take place during October 2017
- Friday October 13, the north bound section will be closed from 9pm and reopen at 5am on Monday October 16
- Friday October 20, the south bound section will close at 9pm and open at 5am on Monday October 23
- Friday October 27 the south bound closure will close at 9pm and reopen at 5am on Monday October 30