Better Safer Barton - The Square, Main Street
These proposals have been developed in close partnership with the Better Safer Barton project group representing Barton-under-Needwood Parish Council. The works are being carried out to commemorate the Centenary celebrations for the end of World War I.
There will be an open evening at the Village Hall on 11 July at 7pm if you would like to see visualisations and discuss the Centenary project of which this is a major part.
The works comprise the following elements:
- Renewing existing footway areas using block paving
- Renewing existing kerbs with ‘conservation’ type kerbs
- Provision of new timber bollards along the length of Main Street within The Square
- Reduction in carriageway width and raising of surfacing levels, ramped to control speed of through traffic
- Provision of additional benches and retention of an existing bench (Note that the precise locations are still being agreed and may differ from the locations shown on the attached drawing)
- Provision of new planter boxes (Note that precise locations are still being agreed and may differ from the locations shown on the attached drawing)
- Replacement road lighting columns and illuminated traffic signs, painted black to reflect the conservation area status of Barton-under-Needwood.
- Minor drainage works to suit the vertical alignment changes to the carriageway
Better Safer Barton visual plan (1.1 MB)
When are the works taking place?
Works started on Wednesday 27 June 2018. There will be road closures of Main Street, Church Lane, St. James’ Road and Dunstall Road throughout the school summer holidays from the 30 July 2018 until the 31 August 2018.
When will the works be completed?
The works are programmed to run for 10 weeks with a scheduled completion date of Friday 31 August 2018.
Will I be able to access my home/business?
During the course of the works it is anticipated that there will be some disruption however we will endeavour to keep this to a minimum. Pedestrian access along Main Street outside of the Church and Shoulder of Mutton public house will be maintained, however during the school holidays it will be necessary to close the road for a full 5 weeks.
During this time no vehicular traffic will be able to access Main Street or the adjoining junctions of Dunstall Road and Church Lane. Appropriately signed diversion routes will be put in place during this time and regularly reviewed for suitability.
What effect could the works have on me?
Through the initial phase of the works, prior to the closure, Main Street will operate under signals which will cause minor disruption to services and daily routines however this will be kept to a minimum and where possible individual circumstances and requests will be considered where possible.
In order to complete some of the construction methodology and to meet with the end of the summer holiday deadline it is necessary to close the road for a period of 5 weeks. It is inevitable that this is likely to cause some significant disruption to local residents as well as through traffic. In order to alleviate this advance warning signs of the closure will be placed on site one month prior to the closure, supporting information including the proposed diversion route will be circulated on social media channels, roadworks.org, the Staffordshire County Council website and within the Barton Parish Village Hall.
How you can help us
You can help us to get the job done with the minimum of fuss by following this advice:
- Please keep children away from the works to ensure their safety.
- Please drive appropriately past the works or around the diversion route.
- Check your shoes before entering your property or car to make sure there is no bitumen from the works.
If you have any questions about the work or concerns about how the work is being carried out, please do not hesitate to call our Contact Centre: 0300 111 8000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
calls charged at local rate