We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Frequently asked questions


The applicant is required to have read and understand the information within the section and understand the requirements for a dropped kerb. A detailed plan of proposed dropped kerb with location will also be needed.



If you live on a classified road (A road, B road or C Road) you will then require planning permission from your local borough/district council. During this time we will be unable to process the application until permission has been granted.

To check whether you live on a classified road, please see the road status map.

  • £117 which is non-refundable and payable once the application has been received for the inspector to give an assessment to the site.

  • £230 charge for a permit to dig on an unclassified street, which your contractor will apply for. Or £332 charge for a permit to dig in a classified street. Find out what classification your road is.

  • Then you will be charged by the contractor for the works they carry out.

1. Once we have received your application we check all details to make sure everything is there to process the application.

2. If there is information missing we will not be able to process your application. At the time of taking payment, we will notify you of what must be provided so we can proceed with your application.

3. An inspection will be carried out to check the safety implications at the location.

4. Once inspected, you will receive a response, usually within 2-3 weeks. The response will indicate whether permission has been granted for a dropped kerb or whether the application has been refused. If the application has been refused, there will be reasons included within the written response.


Once approval has been granted you are required to:

  • Organise a contractor to carry out the works ensuring that the contractor is accredited and insured and obtains a Permit to Dig before works commence.
  • Ensure works are planned correctly.
  • Notify the highway authority of any issues that arise.

Further information is available regarding the requirements of the contractor.


You will need to find an accredited contractor that meets the requirements to carry out works on the highway. The contractor must obtain a permit to dig before works on the highway can commence.

If you are having problems trying to find a contractor to carry out the works, please call us on 0300 111 8000 and we will do our best to help.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17