Flooding and drainage

Who is responsible?

Flooding can occur for a number of reasons and different organisations are responsible for flooding in different siutations.  The following outlines who is responsible for the different types of flooding...

Staffordshire County Council

We are responsible for highway drains.  To report a problem with drain flooding on the roads please contact us.


The landowner is responsible for ditches and watercourses and also piped watercourses and culverts.

Water Company

The water company is responsible for public surface water sewers and foul sewers.

Environment Agency

The Environment Agency is responsible for critical watercourses and main rivers and also emergency response.

Sign up for Alerts Sign up for urgent alerts straight to your email or mobile phone

Make sure you're prepared for an emergency flooding situation by signing up for alerts.

Our new alerts system includes flooding alerts, warnings and alerts on a wide range of county council services.

Sign up for alerts 

There are no results that match your criteria.

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17