Bus Passes for Older or Disabled Residents
Am I eligible?
Older person's bus pass
To see if you qualify for an older person's bus pass, check your qualifying date or look at the government's State Pension Calculator.
Disabled residents' bus pass
You may also qualify for a bus pass if you have a disability that would come under one of these categories.
Stoke on Trent residents
Please note: The Staffordshire County Council area does not cover Stoke on Trent City. If you are a Resident of Stoke on Trent, you can find out about their concessionary bus passes on the Stoke City Council web site.
Where and when can I travel?
You cannot use your bus pass on trains or trams.
Free travel in the Staffordshire County Council area is available at any time to anyone with a County Council issued bus pass when they board a local bus service anywhere in the Staffordshire County Council area.
The bus pass also allows free travel in the rest of England (including the city of Stoke on Trent) between 9:30am and 11pm on Monday to Friday, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Apply, renew or replace online
If you want to apply for or renew a bus pass, the easiest way is to apply or renew online. You can also replace lost or stolen cards by applying online.
What will I need?
- A valid email address (with their approval this can be an email address from friends or family)
- A webcam or a digital camera or an existing digital image.
- A scanned or digital copy of proof of identity such as a passport or driving licence with photograph.
- A scanned or digital copy of proof of residency in Staffordshire - for example a utilities bill (less than 3 months old), bank or building society statement, benefit statement, pension statement, driving licence, council tax bill, etc.
- A scanned or digital copy of proof of your disability if you are applying for a disabled pass.
- Your old bus pass if you need a renewal.
If you have a problem with your application, please contact us.
To apply in person you can go to one of the following libraries:
What will I need to bring with me?
- Proof of your identity - such as a passport or driving licence with photograph
- Proof of residency in Staffordshire - for example a utilities bill (less than 3 months old), bank or building society statement, benefit statement, pension statement, driving licence, council tax bill, etc.
- Your current or expired pass if you need a renewal.
- Proof of your disability if you are applying for a disabled pass.
- Proof of your age if you are applying for an older person's pass.
You will not need to supply a photograph. Library staff will take your photo, process your application and post your pass to you. The pass will take 7-10 working days to process.
Problems with applying?
Please contact us so we can help.
Frequently asked questions
For more information please visit our frequently asked questions page.