Bus Passes for Older or Disabled Residents
Apply, renew or replace online
Whilst libraries are closed due to coronavirus:
If you hold an Older persons concessionary bus pass that is due to expire before 31st August 2020, and you have made a bus journey in the last 6 months, your pass will be renewed automatically.
If you hold a disabled bus pass that is due to expire before 31 August 2020 you will be notified if it is not going to be renewed automatically.
Changes to the Older and Disabled Bus Passes – times of travel
During Coronavirus concessionary bus passes will be valid for travel 24/7 within Staffordshire with immediate effect.
We like many councils are facing unprecedented financial challenges not of our making due to the increasing costs of funding adult social care and children’s care - at a time when national funding to councils continues to fall.
The decision has been made to withdraw financial support currently provided by the authority, for free travel for English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) for older bus pass cardholders that travel before 9.30am.
From 1 July 2019 this means people with the older person’s bus pass will no longer be able to travel free before 09.30 and after 23.00. Disabled bus pass holders can continue to use their pass for free travel before 09.30 until they reach pensionable age at which point their pass will be changed to the older person’s bus pass.
We will offer free travel for all bus pass holders between 09.30 and 23.00 on weekdays, and at any time on weekends and bank holidays throughout England.
Am I eligible?
Older person's bus pass
To see if you qualify for an older person's bus pass, check your qualifying date or look at the government's State Pension Calculator.
Disabled residents' bus pass
You may also qualify for a bus pass if you have a disability that would come under one of these categories.
Stoke on Trent residents
Please note: The Staffordshire County Council area does not cover Stoke on Trent City. If you are a Resident of Stoke on Trent, you can find out about their concessionary bus passes on the Stoke City Council web site.
If you want to apply for or renew a bus pass, the easiest way is to apply or renew online. You can also replace lost, damaged or stolen cards by applying online. The charge for a lost/damaged pass is £10. There is no charge for replacing a stolen pass but you will need to supply a ‘crime number’ after having reported the theft to the Police.
You can also renew passes and replace lost or stolen passes by calling our contact centre on 0300 111 8000 or by calling into your local Staffordshire County Council managed library.
Please note that once you have reported your pass as lost we cannot reinstate the pass if you find it. The pass is ‘hotlisted’ immediately to prevent another person using the pass.
What will I need?
- A valid email address (with their approval this can be an email address from friends or family)
- A webcam or a digital camera or an existing digital image.
- A scanned or digital copy of proof of identity such as a passport or driving licence with photograph.
- A scanned or digital copy of proof of residency in Staffordshire - for example a utilities bill (less than 3 months old), bank or building society statement, benefit statement, pension statement, driving licence, council tax bill, etc.
- A scanned or digital copy of proof of your disability if you are applying for a disabled pass.
- Your old bus pass if you need a renewal.
If you have a problem with your application, please contact us.
Apply, renew or replace in person
- To apply in person you can go to one of Staffordshire County Council managed libraries
What will I need to bring with me?
- Proof of your identity - such as a passport or driving licence with photograph
- Proof of residency in Staffordshire (excluding Stoke on Trent) - for example a utilities bill (less than 3 months old), bank or building society statement, benefit statement, pension statement, driving licence, council tax bill, etc.
- Your current or expired pass if you need a renewal.
- Proof of your disability if you are applying for a disabled pass.
- Proof of your age if you are applying for an older person's pass.
You will not need to supply a photograph. Library staff will take your photo and process your application . The pass will take 7-10 working days to process.
Where and when can I travel?
Free travel in the Staffordshire County Council area is available to anyone with a County Council issued bus pass, when they board a local bus service anywhere in the Staffordshire County Council area.
The bus pass allows free travel in England between 9:30am and 11pm on Monday to Friday, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
You cannot use your bus pass on trains or trams.
Problems with applying?
Please contact us so we can help.
Frequently asked questions
For more information please visit our frequently asked questions page.