School active travel
Did you know?
- One fifth of all morning rush hour car journeys during term time are believed to be parents taking children to school.
- In recent times the number of children walking to school has halved whilst the number being driven to school has doubled.
- The Institute of Child Health has identified a reduction pupils walking to school as a factor in health problems occuring in later life.
- Research has shown that just a 15 minute walk, scoot or cycle provides children with half of their recommended daily exercise. It can also help children to be more alert in the classroom.
Because of this, we recommend smarter travel:
- Cycling/Scooting (depending on school policy)
- Park and Stride if you need to use a car
- Public transport
Smarter travel schemes
The following schemes are avaliable to help you travel to school smarter:
Bikeability is cycle training delivered by our provider Cyclist Training Ltd. It is designed to give the next generation the confidence to ride their bikes in modern road conditions.
The following training is available for pupils:
- Years 3 and 4
Level 1 training and learn to ride is available to small numbers of pupils. To see if your school can qualify or to find out how much this would cost contact the team.
- Years 5 to 6
Bikeability Level 2 is delivered free
- Year 7 and above
Level 2 and 3 training is delivered for the county.
The walking bus initiative aims to promote walking to school and a healthy active lifestyle whilst caring for the environment at the same time.
The School Travel Team working directly with Stafford schools, will help set up the scheme and provide all the resources needed to publicise the idea to parents and pupils. An assembly and parent meeting is arranged to inform pupils and parents as to how the scheme works.
Stars (Sustainable Travel Accreditation and Recognition for Schools) is a free service available to all Staffordshire schools.
It is an easy to use electronic travel planning tool that lets schools:
- and maintain their own travel plan.
Schools signed up to Staffordshire stars will also have the option of issuing all of their year 6 students Transition Packs - Going INTO Year 7.
These packs will include the following:
To get involved with any of the smarter travel schemes above, you can email the School Travel Team
. You can also book Bikeability training by phoning 01785 854036.