Join your library
How do I join?
It’s free to join and borrow books from your library. You can do this in two ways.
The quickest and easiest way is to apply online. This will provide you with a card number that will be valid for 6 months and will immediately let you:
This number can be exchanged for a library card at any Staffordshire library.
Alternatively you can join at your local library by going to the main desk. If you want to use the
library computers, you will need to sign an Acceptable Use Policy document to receive a PIN.
- You will be able to access the full range of services we offer, including our computers, further online resources like Ancestry, eMagazines, eAudio, and our free WiFi service. Take a look at our Library Services pages to find out what Staffordshire Libraries has to offer.
- You can use your library card at any Staffordshire library, including our mobile libraries. Please bring it with you each time you visit.
- You can borrow and return books to any Staffordshire Library.
- There are fees and charges for some services and if items you borrow are returned late. Concessions apply for some charges.
- Keep your library card safe, as you are responsible for books that you borrow with it.
- Please let us know if you change any of your personal details, or if your card is lost or stolen so that we can stop anyone else using it.
Who can join?
Anyone, at any age, can join.
If you're under 16, you can join the library either online or in person. If you do so in person we will send a letter to your parents or carers to check that they're happy.
We offer special memberships for carers, children in residential and foster care, childminders, as well as for organisations such as playgroups, reading groups and music and drama groups.
If you qualify as a concessionary member, please bring proof to the library.
GDPR & Library Membership
Under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR 2018) we have a legal duty to protect any information that we hold about you. We take measures to safeguard your data and implement security standards and controls to prevent any unauthorised access to it. Information which you have provided in order to become a member of Staffordshire Library Service will be stored securely and will only be used for the delivery of that service.You have the right to cancel your membership at any time and have your records removed in their entirety.
View the Staffordshire County Council Privacy Notice for further information on how we handle your data and information.
Please see our FAQs page for more information on how to use your library.