Frequently Asked Questions
Joining a library is easy and free! Join online or visit any Staffordshire Library where you simply need to give us your name and postcode.
You do not need proof of your identity to join, you just need to know your postcode. If you don't know your postcode, you can still borrow some items and we'll post your library card to you.
To find your nearest library, simply enter your postcode and click 'find' to see your nearest services.
You can also view a map of all libraries to see which locations are nearest to you.
- Libraries are open at different times throughout the week. Look at our list of libraries to find out what times your local library is open.
Libraries in Staffordshire are closed on Bank Holidays and will be closed on the following dates:
Public Holidays 2018 / 2019
- Good Friday - Friday 30 March 2018
- Easter Monday - Monday 2 April 2018
- Early May bank holiday - Monday 7 May 2018
- Spring bank holiday - Monday 28 May 2018
- Summer bank holiday - Monday 27 August 2018
- Christmas Day - Tuesday 25 December 2018
- Boxing Day - Wednesday 26 December 2018
- New Year's Day - Tuesday 1 January 2019
- You can borrow the number of books that suits you - you might want to take a few more if you are going on holiday for example.
You can keep most books for three weeks. In some libraries, there are Quick Read collections which can be borrowed for one week so that as many people as possible have a chance to borrow them.
You can borrow CDs and DVDs for one week.
As long as another customer has not requested the items you have on loan, you can renew them a maximum of three times without the items being returned to the library. You can renew books by:
You may also register to receive email alerts and we will contact you via email about reservations, overdue items and nearly due items. The nearly due emails will be sent 3 days before items are due for return, as a courtesy to remind customers to renew or return items. However, customers remain responsible for all items borrowed on their ticket and for any charges due to items not being returned by the due date.
You can borrow:
- Children's books
- Adults books
- Talking books
- Large print books
- Language courses
- Drama sets
- Music scores
Contact your local library to see what they have to offer!
- You can return your library books to any Staffordshire Library, regardless of where you borrowed them from. Take a look at your nearest library to find out the locations of our libraries.
A library PIN (Personal Identification Number) verifies that you have the authority to access your library card account, since it is a private number which only the account holder knows.
To get a PIN you need to join the library by completing the online form. You will choose your PIN as part of the joining process and you will be able to access the following services:
Find out how to access computers in the library.
I have forgot my PIN
Please request a new PIN through the library catalogue.
Please tell Your Library immediately because you are responsible for all items borrowed on your card and for any access to the internet made using your card.
We can then cancel lost or stolen cards and issue you with a new one. There may be a small charge for your replacement card.
- Yes, no one is too young or too old to join a library. There are lots of books and activities for all children and babies too.
It doesn't cost anything to join or to borrow books.
If your books are late back, or you want to use some other services, then there may be charges. Check our fees and charges page for more detail.
Ready to join?
Yes, your library has computers with internet access that you can use for free. We recommend that you book some time on a computer to make sure there's one available for you when you visit. You can book a computer in advance online or by calling your library. You'll need the barcode number from your library card and your PIN.
First time users
If you are a first time user we have to ensure that you have signed our Internet Access Registration (576 KB) and upgrade your account before you can access the library computers. This is required because the new card number which you will be given allows access to our library computers. You can complete the form by:
- Going into any library and signing the form or;
- Taking a signed copy into the library or;
- Printing the form, sign it and then email to a library email address. You can find these on the local libraries webpages.
If you are under 16, a parent or guardian will need to sign the form.
Visit our Computer Access page for more information.
- Library items are selected in line with our Stock Policy (129Kb)