Remaining relevant to communities continues to be a significant challenge for libraries as more and more people are going online to read and find out information.
At the same time, pressure on county council budgets has never been greater. Although the county council has reduced costs by almost £200m over the last seven years, our income is falling at a time when we need to spend more than ever on key services for the most vulnerable people in our community.
We want to work with communities to find ways to keep libraries open and flexible to people's needs in the reduced budget available.
Through this consultation we want to hear your views on our initial proposals to:
- introduce 'self-service' technology to appropriate county council Managed and Delivered Libraries* to maintain and potentially extend library hours. We want to explore if people will use the technology and where it could be introduced.
- increase the number of volunteers in county council Managed and Delivered Libraries* to work alongside paid staff.
- support four county council Managed and Delivered Libraries to become Community Managed and Delivered Libraries. Having the community at the heart of making decisions about the library will help revitalise them and reduce the number of fully-funded county council libraries. The libraries being proposed are Penkridge, Clayton, Eccleshall and Cheadle because they are the least busy libraries. 23 libraries have already transferred, or are in the process of transferring, to the community to become Community Managed Libraries.
- reshape the Mobile and Travelling Library Service and reduce the number of stops so that we have the resource to continue to visit those communities that need and use the service the most. We are proposing to use a set of principles to work out where the mobile libraries visit. We want your views on these principles.
We also want to hear people's ideas for other ways we can keep libraries open and flexible to people's needs.
Read more details about our proposals
Read the frequently asked questions
Have your say in the consultation by 1st April 2018
* The 20 county council Managed and Delivered Libraries are: Biddulph, Burntwood, Burton, Cannock, Clayton, Cheadle, Codsall, Eccleshall, Kidsgrove, Leek, Lichfield, Newcastle, Penkridge, Perton, Rugeley, Stafford, Stone, Tamworth, Uttoxeter, Wombourne.