William Salt Library
Phone: 01785 278372
Fax: 01785 278414
Tuesday - Thursday 10am - 1pm, 2pm - 4pm
Bank holiday closures 2018
Christmas Day: Tuesday 25 December 2018
Boxing Day: Wednesday 26 December 2018
William Salt Library closure
Please be aware that the Library will be closed to visitors from 1 October 2018, in preparation for the relocation of the collection from the current building. Limited access, where possible, will still be available to the collection through the Staffordshire Record Office search room from 1 October to 8 December 2018. As you may already be aware, the Library is part of the exciting Staffordshire History Centre project which will bring the collection together with those at Staffordshire Record Office. For more information please see the Staffordshire History Centre Project web page.
Requests for items from the collection should be made by contacting Staffordshire Record Office by email at email@example.com. Please put 'William Salt Library' as the subject of your email.
Please note the following restrictions to access:
- Only items described in our online catalogue (see web address below) that are currently accessible may be requested.
- Full details of the item(s), including reference numbers, are required and should be included in any request.
- A maximum of six items may be requested per visit. Any subsequent items would only be made available through negotiation.
- A minimum of two clear William Salt Library working days' notice (i.e. Tuesday-Thursday) is required for the production of items.
- We will endeavour to satisfy all requests made for items from the collection, but please be advised that there may be circumstances which may prevent access to certain items. Therefore an assessment on the suitability for production will need to be made on an item by item basis.
Gateway to the Past online catalogue: http://www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk/calmview/
If you need help in finding material in the online catalogue staff at Staffordshire Record Office will be happy to help.
No appointment is necessary when visiting the library to view material held within the collection. However, you should contact the library in advance of a visit to ensure that we hold the records you require, as we have limited space.
If you are also planning to go to Staffordshire Record Office please contact them in advance to book an appointment avoid disappointment.
Finding the records you want
Obtaining a reader's ticket
Access and Facilities
There is no public car park at the Library. The nearest long-stay car park is off North Walls.
Registered disabled readers may be accommodated in the adjacent councillors' car park if advance notice is given.
Stafford railway station is approximately ten minutes walk from the Library.
As Stafford does not have a bus station, buses serving neighbouring towns and villages stop at different points around the town centre.
For information regarding travelling to Stafford by public transport please use the National Traveline web site.