Tracing birth family
If you are trying to trace your birth family, you should seek expert advice and guidance from a properly accredited agency at an early stage in your search.
The Adoption Search Reunion website offers advice to adopted people, birth relatives and adoptive parents in England and Wales. The website provides information about:
- legal rights of adopted people
- getting counselling
- a database to help find records of adoption
- intermediary services, to help in contacting your birth family
- approaching reunion.
The General Register Office provides services about adoption, including:
- maintaining the Adopted Children Register
- providing access to birth records
- maintaining the Adoption Contact Register.
See the DirectGov website for further information about adoption records.
Find out how to access your birth records on the Care4Child website.
Contact the Adoption Team for free and confidential advice. If you live in Staffordshire call 01889 256400.
If you live in Stoke on Trent contact:
Address: Adoption Team, Heron Cross House, Grove Road, Fenton, Stoke on Trent, ST4 3AY
Telephone: 01782 234555