Records Held By Staffordshire Record Office
For family history resources at Staffordshire Record Office please see Family History Resources at Staffordshire Record Office
The range of archive collections held by Staffordshire Record Office is very wide and encompasses very many subject areas.
Local authorities, including:
- Staffordshire County Council, 1889 onwards, and its predecessor authorities, including the Court of Quarter Sessions, c.1590-1888
- Staffordshire Poor Law Unions, 1834-1930
- Stafford Borough Council and former urban and rural district councils in Staffordshire
- Parish councils from 1894
Other public bodies, including:
- Magistrates courts
- Primary and Secondary schools
- Anglican parishes in the historic county of Staffordshire, including ecclesiastical records and records of parish administration
- Nonconformist circuits and chapels
Business and industry, including:
- Professions, such as solicitors, estate agents, accountants, retail trades, building societies
- Industries, such as coalmining, iron, engineering, textiles, footwear and brewing
- Communications, including railways, canals and roads
Major landed families:
- Dukes of Sutherland (Sutherland-Leveson-Gower)
- Marquesses of Anglesey (Paget)
- Earls of Shrewsbury (Chetwynd-Talbot)
- Earls of Dartmouth (Legge)
- Earls of Lichfield (Anson)
- Earls of Bradford (Bridgeman)
- Barons Bagot (Bagot) and Stafford (Stafford, Jerningham, Fitzherbert), and many others
- Clubs and societies
- Political parties
- Trade Unions
As well as
- Electoral registers for most of the historic county. Those for the period 1832-1891 are available on microfiche only for preservation reasons.
- Census returns for the whole of the historic county, on microfiche only.
- Tithe and enclosure maps and awards and estate maps
- Ordnance Survey maps, including the County and National Grid series
Records formerly available at Lichfield Record Office
These records are to be transferred to Staffordshire Record Office in March 2018 and will be made available for public consultation there in May 2018.
Records of the Diocese of Lichfield and its predecessors
Before 1540 the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield included Cheshire, Derbyshire, south Lancashire, north Shropshire, Staffordshire, north Warwickshire, and small parts of Flintshire and Denbighshire. In 1540 Cheshire, south Lancashire and the Welsh parishes were lost and the name of the diocese changed to Lichfield and Coventry. Its records form the largest single part of our holdings. They range in date from the late thirteenth century to the present day and include a series of bishops' registers beginning in 1296, court books, visitation records, wills and tithe maps (for Staffordshire and northern Shropshire).
Records of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
These are also a significant source for the study of ecclesiastical history from medieval times onwards.
These include the records of local authorities, charities, schools, families, businesses, and other organisations from the City of Lichfield and its immediate vicinity.
Our online catalogue Gateway to the Past is continually growing, as we catalogue all new accessions electronically and more of our older paper catalogues are converted to electronic format each year.