Online Catalogues - Archives
Gateway to the Past is the online catalogue of the Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service, the William Salt Library and the Staffordshire County Museum. At present it contains over 80% of archive catalogues and this percentage is steadily increasing. It also contains catalogue descriptions of all of the museum objects and art works managed by the County Museum.
Direct links to archive collections in the Gateway to the Past online catalogue are provided through the Staffordshire Place Guide, which lists Staffordshire places alphabetically. Currently live are links to Anglican parish recods, Parish Council records, Poor Law Union and District Council records. Development of this resource is ongoing.
The National Archives' Discovery resources is a database combining:
- The National Archives' own catalogue
- the Access to Archives (A2A) catalogue (which contains some of our archive catalogues)
- the National Register of Archives (which contains descriptions of archive collections)
- the Manorial Documents Register
- the Archon directory of British archive repositories
Staffordshire Views at the William Salt Library are now available via a dedicated searchable website in addition to Gateway to the Past and as a series of PDF format files.