Transition into adult life

What is transition?

The move from school into adult life is referred to as transition.

This is an exciting but sometimes frightening experience for young people with special educational needs or learning disabilities. 

It is important that young people and their families are involved in decisions about their future and are fully supported by professionals throughout the process.  

Transition pathway

In Staffordshire there is a new approach to planning for the future of young people with learning difficulties or disabilities and special educational needs.

The approach is called the transition pathway. It sets out what should happen for young people as they move into adulthood. It looks at each step from Year 9 through leaving school and into adulthood.

The transition pathway involves young people and their families working with professionals to think about and plan for the future, considering the young person's needs, wants and hopes.  

The transition meeting and plan

An important part of the transition process is the transition meeting, which takes place in year 9 (the annual review meeting in year 9 is called a transition meeting).  This meeting is arranged by the school and should include all those people who are involved in supporting the young person through transition. 

People who may be at the meeting include:

  • Parents
  • The young person
  • Special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO)
  • Social worker
  • Teaching assistant

Parents can ask the Staffordshire SEND Family Partnership to help them prepare for the meeting.

SENCOs should send parents a transition booklet when they are arranging the transition review meeting. These booklets can be ordered for free from the partnership directly.   

At this meeting a plan is made for the future of the young person, making sure their needs and wants are listened to. An action plan should be drawn up and everyone given clear tasks.    

This plan is reviewed every year to check progress.     

What can you do?

If you have concerns or questions about the process of transition into adult life for yourself or a member of your family you can start by talking to your school special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO), a teacher or your head teacher.

The useful contacts and links page has some other people and organisations that can also help you.

There are no results that match your criteria.

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17