Do you need help look after a relative, neighbour or friend? Perhaps you look after your husband, wife, partner, a parent, or child if they are sick or disabled? You may not be the only person who helps to care, but if you offer necessary help, and are not employed to provide care, then you are a carer.
Support for you as a carer
The Carers Hub supports carers in Staffordshire by providing tailored advice, training and information.
They offer a whole range of support for carers of all ages:
- Carers assessments and support planning
- Employment and skills
- Mental health
- Learning disability
- Health and wellbeing
If you are a carer and you have a need for support then you can ask the Carers Hub for a carers assessment. A carer assessment helps you to think about your caring role, how it affects your life and what support you may need.
You can have an assessment in your own right as a carer, regardless of whether the person(s) you care have had their own care and support needs assessment.
Contact the Carers Hub
The Carers Hub can be contacted on:
Telephone: 0330 1231937 (calls are charged at a local rate).
The Carers Hub
Madford Retail Park
Respite care / carers breaks
Everyone deserves time out. You may care for a relative or are in need of care yourself. Taking a break from your usual routine can do the world of good.
Carers may worry about what would happen if they had an accident or were taken ill and couldn’t carry out their caring role. The Crossroads Emergency Service provides peace of mind to carers living in Staffordshire, by enabling them to plan for an emergency situation.
Anyone who has received a carer’s assessment is automatically entitled to apply and the service is free.
Contact Crossroads on:
Phone: 01782 268391
The Carers Association
North Staffordshire Carers Association
Telephone: 01782 793100
Covers: Newcastle-under-Lyme and Staffordshire Moorlands.
Carers Association Southern Staffordshire
Telephone: 01785 606675
Covers: Cannock, East Staffordshire, Lichfield, Stafford, South Staffordshire, Tamworth.
Local Alzheimer's cafes
Carers Group Café is for people who care for someone with dementia or a mental health issue, they also provide training if you are a carer.
North Staffordshire – Approach
Area: Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire Moorlands and Newcastle
Telephone: 01782 214999
South Staffordshire – Carers Association Southern Staffordshire
Area: Stafford, Lichfield, Tamworth, South Staffordshire, East Staffordshire and Cannock
Telephone: 01785 222365
Other useful organisations
Online support and tools
There are a number of online tools and sites that you as a carer can use for support and to manage your time when caring for others.
- Rally Round for a loved one. Coordinate help for a relative who needs more practical support. Invite family and friends and organise jobs and helpers.
- Health Fabric has a number of features which helps to manage personalised, preventative healthcare.
- Jointly is an app that makes caring for someone a little easier, less stressful and a lot more organised.
- Learn My Way - A variety of courses are available from an introduction to going online from setting up an email account.
- About me: building resilience for carers. An e-learning resource that helps carers identify and build networks of support and promotes their self-care.
- Nudgu - Supporting independent living voice reminder servce for carers.
- Ask Sara - Expert information and advice on daily living equipment