We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Intermediate and reablement support

Each year people who have been living independently at home suddenly find themselves in need of some short-term extra support.

You may have difficulties taking care of yourself because of

  • Illness
  • Disability
  • Injury
  • A spell in hospital

We know that getting back on your feet, maintaining your independence, confidence and regaining lost skills (or even developing new ones) are the most important things to you. That’s where intermediate care or an reablement service can help. 

What is intermediate care?

  • It supports people with complex needs, who need professional interventions. This includes things like physiotherapy or nursing support. The care helps you return to an independent life.

  • It aims to give recovery and rehabilitation support. It helps you regain your independence when you come out of hospital. It also helps prevent you having to go into hospital or residential care.

  • Intermediate care can be delivered at home.

What is reablement?

  • If you are not eligible for intermediate care you could get reablement support.
  • This helps you with everyday tasks like washing, dressing, using the toilet or preparing meals.

  • It helps develop the confidence to live independently.
  • It is delivered in your home.

How long is it for?

You will get support for up to 6 weeks, free of charge where there is an identified care and support need.

What happens after that?

Your ability to manage daily living tasks will be reviewed throughout. If there is a need for longer term support, a care and support needs assessment can be arranged. 

You should speak to your social care contact or a health practitioner about this.

You can also look at our help at home page to find support such as home care and a range of equipment and technology that can help you.  

Further information

 You can also find out more in the fact sheet below:

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17