We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Home care

If you need help around the home, a good option is to have a care worker come in to your home to help you. This is known as home care.

What is home care?

A careworker can help with your personal care and some practical household tasks.

You may need help because you:

  • Have a disability
  • Are frail or elderly
  • Have been in hospital
  • Had a fall
  • Simply need to regain your confidence

What's available?

Help with personal care

  • Washing
  • Dressing
  • Getting out of the shower
  • Getting in and out of bed

Help with daily tasks

  • Cooking meals
  • Cleaning
  • Shopping
  • Taking medication

Homecare can be very flexible, in order to meet your needs. It may be that you need home care for just a short time until you can manage for yourself again or it can be for longer if you need it.

Where can I get home care?

You can:

If you are thinking about getting care at home and are eligible for help, you can contact us to talk it through. We may be able to help you make a decision and  can help you find an agency. 

How do I find an agency?

You can:

What is a personal assistant?

personal assistant acts as a home care worker for you.

They can offer you all that you’ll get from an agency worker. You’ll also get the continuity, familiarity and ongoing relationship with your assistant.

How do I find one?

Information on how to employ a personal assistant is in our direct payments section.

Being an employer

If you employ a personal assistant, you will have the legal responsibility of an employer. This will include arranging cover for their illness and holidays.

Changes to home care arranged by us

Some people choose for us to arrange and pay for their care at home. We do this through a number of contracts with care providers.

We are legally required to renew these contracts every few years. This is to make sure we have quality, cost effective care across the county.

When will the changes start?

On 1 October 2017 new contracts with new care providers started. The care you receive will not change straight away.

What if I am affected?

We have written to people who will be affected by this change.

If we have written to you, your new care provider will get in touch to introduce themselves. They will make arrangements for your future care before any changes are made.

All of our new providers are experienced and registered with the Care Quality Commission. Many of them are companies who already work in Staffordshire.

What if I want to stay with my current provider?

We can only arrange care with companies we have a contract with.

If you would prefer to keep your current provider, you could consider using a direct payment. This is where we give you a budget to spend on arranging care for yourself instead of making the arrangements on your behalf.

What is home care regulation?

Check if the Care Quality Commission have registered and inspected a particular provider.

They regulate all home care providers. They publish inspection reports on their website. When considering a service it’s always a good idea to check its report.

There are no results that match your criteria.

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17