We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Independent financial advice

In all circumstances where you need to financially contribute to your care and support needs you should always seek independent financial advice. You must make sure your money goes as far as possible and you can plan and make choices for the future.

What about benefits?

You should also check you are receiving the correct welfare benefit entitlements. These can help you pay for your care and support.

How do I find an independent financial adviser?

Staffordshire Connects lists a number of advisers and organisations that can offer independent financial advice.

You can also download the factsheet on finding independent financial advice:

Which one is right for me?

There are lots of independent financial advisers out there. It may seem difficult to work out who is right for you. Make sure you use someone who is registered with the financial conduct authority.

You should also consider:

Society of Later Life advisers (SOLLA)

Financial advisers registered with the society go through a special training and accreditation process. They are specialists in planning ahead for later life even if you’re still young.

Specialist care fee advisers

Independent financial advice covers lots of different areas. An adviser who specialises in care fees may understand more about the situation you’re in.

They will be able to offer more tailored advice. Most financial advisers will state if they have any specialist areas of knowledge. You can check this with SOLLA as well.

Organisations that can also help 

  • Money Advice Service was set up by government. They offer free and impartial money advice:
    Phone: 0300 500 5000 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm). 

  • FirstStop Advice is an independent, impartial and free service. It is provided by the national charity Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC).
    Phone: 0800 377 7070

  • Citizens Advice provides information about getting financial advice and where to find an adviser. 

  • Age UK provide information about claiming benefits. They can give you advice on debts, a pension calculator, money-saving tips and information on making a will and power of attorney.
  • Paying for care - provides access to a care cap calculator to help you work out residential care costs.


There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17