We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Funding the cost of care and support

Many people will have to pay a contribution towards or pay the full cost of their care and support. 

Can I get help?

If you need help with paying for care you will need to have a care and support assessment and have eligible needs. 

The amount of money that we can then pay towards the cost of your care depends on your financial situation.

Please note:

  • If you need long term residential or nursing care:

You will have to pay the full cost of your care if you have assets and savings (including your property) worth over £23,250.

  • If you need care in your own home:

You will have to pay the full cost of your care if you have over £25,000 in assets and savings.

You will be asked to have a financial assessment to determine who pays for the care you need. 

How much does care cost?

What should I do if I have to pay the full cost?

If you do not qualify for any financial help and have to pay the full cost of care you will be known as a self-funder.

Planning your future care and support needs can be complicated and paying for it can be expensive.

You should always seek independent financial advice. There may be options available to protect your interests.

You should also see if you are eligible to claim any welfare benefits. Use this free benefits calculator to check to see if you are entitled.

Can you still help if I have to pay? 

No matter what the outcome is, we will still offer you advice. We can work with you to develop a care and support plan which will set out how your needs can be best met.

We can also arrange any non-residential care and support for you.  

There will be an initial arrangement fee of £185 and an ongoing annual fee of £65 to cover the administrative costs of doing so.

What if I am financially eligible for some support?

We will work with you to develop a care and support plan and you will be given a personal budget.

What if I’m unhappy with the funding decision or my circumstances change?

Details of what to do and who to contact can be found in the financial assessment page.

Can I get financial help with home adaptations or equipment?

If you are disabled you could apply for a disabled facilities grant that can help you to make the changes you need to your home.  


There are no results that match your criteria.

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17