We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Advocacy services

Advocates help people who are unable or have substantial difficulty saying what they want to say, and to help them be involved in discussions and decisions about their care and support.

This means having someone to speak on their behalf, so that they are supported and involved as much as possible.

What is advocacy?

Advocacy is about:

  • Making sure people have the information they need to make the right choices for them.
  • Supporting people to speak up and be heard.
  • Helping people to get the services and support they need and are entitled to.
  • Helping people to play a full part in their communities

The amount of advocacy support required will vary between different people but the service should, where possible, encourage people to say what is important to them and make their own decisions and choices.

Advocacy should help people to do more for themselves and make them less dependent on other people where possible.

What should an advocate do?

An advocate is a person who represents and works with a person who may need support and encouragement to exercise their rights, to help make informed choices and to have a voice. This includes:

  • Assisting a person to understand the assessment, care and support planning, review and safeguarding processes.
  • Assisting a person to communicate their views, wishes and feelings.
  • Assisting the individual to understand all information relevant to the decision they are required to make.
  • Assisting the person to make decisions about their care and support arrangements.
  • Assisting the person to understand their legal rights.
  • Assisting a person to challenge a decision or process.

Who can act as an independent advocate?

An independent advocate must be suitably experienced and appropriately trained, but most importantly have the ability to work independently of the local authority, and/or its partners.

They must not be someone who is paid to provide care or treatment for the person or an organisation that is paid by the council to carry out assessments, care and support plans or reviews.

Can a friend or relative be an advocate?

If there is an appropriate individual the person trusts to help them say what is important to them and who knows their wishes they can choose for them to be their advocate, provided that the person is not someone they pay to provide their care or treatment, or who supports them professionally such as their social worker.

Types of Advocacy Services

Care Act Advocacy

For adults with social care needs, Staffordshire County Council Council and our partners must arrange an independent advocate to support and represent the person if two conditions are met:

  1. That if an independent advocate were not provided then they would have substantial difficulty in being fully involved in these processes.
  2. There is no appropriate individual available to support and represent their wishes that is not paid, or professionally involved in providing care or treatment to the person or their carer.

We must decide if the person would have substantial difficulty being involved in the care and support processes.

There are 4 areas where 'substantial difficulty' in being involved might be found, these are:

  • Being able to understand the relevant information.
  • Being able to retain information.
  • Being able to use or weigh up the information.
  • Being able to communicate their views, wishes and feelings.

Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA)

For people aged 16 and over, who have been formally assessed to be lacking mental capacity and have no appropriate friends or family to consult, an independent mental capacity advocate must be instructed when:

  • A decision must be made on their behalf about providing, withdrawing or withholding of serious medical treatment.
  • A decision must be made on their behalf about long term accommodation in hospital, residential nursing or other supported care environment.

They may be instructed when:

  • It is proposed to take protective measures under adult protection procedures (over 18). It is unlikely a referral to the IMCA service will be required when an individual is already working with a Care Act Advocate.
  • The responsible body are reviewing the accommodation arrangements for a person who lacks capacity and there are no friends and family that it would be appropriate to consult.

Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA)

An independent mental health advocate should be provided for people who qualify as follows:

  • People being detained under a section of the Mental Health Act or are on leave of absence from hospital. This does not include emergency and short term detentions such as those made under Sections 4, 5(2), 5(4), 135 or 136.
  • People on conditional discharge and restricted patients.
  • Those subject to guardianship.
  • Those on a supervised community treatment.
  • Those being considered for a section 57 treatment.
  • People under 18 and being considered for a section 58A treatment like electro-convulsive therapy.

They should help people to:

  • Understand their rights and the rights others have in relation to them.
  • Find information, including information about any treatment and the legal authority for providing that treatment.
  • Have a voice in decisions affecting them by supporting them to speak out, representing their views, choices and opinions.

NHS Complaints Advocacy Service (NHSCAS)

The service gives practical support and information to people who want to complain about an NHS service. It also supports people who want to make a complaint on someone else’s behalf.

The service aims to help people understand what their options are, and to support them through the NHS complaints process to ensure they get the best possible resolution.

You decide the level of support you need and an advocate will work with you to ensure you get the best possible outcome to your complaint.

Where can I go for independent advocacy in Staffordshire?

From 1st April 2018, the advocacy provider for adults across Staffordshire will be Total Voice Staffordshire. Total Voice Staffordshire will support people to have their voices heard and rights respected. The service is free, independent and confidential.

Who the service will support

Anyone can access the service for support with making a complaint to the NHS. The service will also offer a wide range of types of advocacy support to adults who may have mental health issues, learning disabilities, dementia, acquired brain injury or other disability. We will also work in some cases with children and with family carers.

Types of advocacy

Total Voice Staffordshire will offer all statutory advocacy services. These are:

  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA) including Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) and Paid Representatives
  • Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)
  • Care Act Advocacy including Care Act Advocacy in Prisons
  • Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS)

If in doubt about what kind of advocacy you need for yourself or someone you support, contact the service. They can advise and work with you to get the appropriate advocate.

You can reach the service and make a referral by:

  • Phone: 01785 336387
  • Email: info@totalvoicestaffs.org
  • Website: www.totalvoicestaffs.org

Connect with the service on social media:

  • Twitter: @TotalVoiceStaff
  • Facebook: TBC e.g. /totalvoicestaffs

NYAS - for children and young people up to the age of 25

You can contact them, or you can ask someone to contact them for you by:

Email: help@nyas.net
Phone: 0800 808 1001
Web: NYAS secure referral portal
Web: Secure online chat and advice room for children and young people

You can also download the NYAS app.

Other services

The providers above are free of charge to eligible people.

There are a number alternative and specialist advocacy services across the county. These may be more suited to your individual needs and personal circumstances.

There are no results that match your criteria.

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17