The following 3 questions are used to work out whether you are eligible for care and support:
- Do your needs arise from a physical or mental impairment or illness?
- Do these needs mean you are unable to achieve two or more of the outcomes below?
- As a result of this, is there likely to be a significant impact on your wellbeing?
You must meet all three of the criteria stated above to be eligible.
What outcomes do you consider as part of the criteria?
The following outcomes are considered:
- Do you have access to food and drink to maintain nutrition, and are you able to prepare and consume food and drink?
- Can you wash yourself and launder your clothes?
- Can you use the toilet and manage your own toilet needs?
- Can you dress yourself and dress appropriately such as during cold weather?
- Can you move around your home safely? This includes your immediate environment e.g. access and steps to the home.
- Can you keep your home clean and safe?
- Do you feel lonely or isolated, and are you unable to maintain or develop relationships with family and friends?
- Do you have the opportunity and/or wish to apply and contribute to society through work, training, education or volunteering?
- Are you able to get around in the community safely? Can you use facilities or services such as public transport, shops and recreational facilities?
- Do you have any parenting or other caring responsibilities e.g. as a parent, step-parent or grandparent?
How do I know if I am unable to meet an outcome?
This would be if you are:
- Unable to achieve an outcome without assistance.
- Able to achieve it without assistance but doing so causes you significant pain, distress or anxiety.
- Able to achieve it without assistance but doing so endangers or is likely to endanger your health or safety, or that of others.
- Able to achieve it without assistance but take significantly longer than would normally be expected.
What happens next?
Following your needs assessment you will be given a written copy of it. This will say if you are eligible for us to meet your needs.
The eligibility for care and support page gives details about the next step.