We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Assessments for Care

What is an assessment?

Care and support needs asssessments are free of charge and are available for anyone over the age of 18.

It is a discussion with you about what your current strengths are and areas where you may need some support. We can guide you to the sort of help you could benefit from.

If you would like a needs assessment you can contact us.

What do I do?

Throughout the whole assessment we will involve you. We will make sure that the process is appropriate to you. It is flexible and identifies what your strengths are and identifies the areas where you need support in order to achieve your goals.

Can somebody help me?

If you would like to have someone to help you, like a family member or close friend whilst undergoing the assessment, this is okay. You will need to give your consent for them to help you, and try to make sure you are fully involved in completing the assessment if you can.

If you are not able to be fully involved and do not have friends or family to help, you can be referred to an advocate who can help you.

What does it involve?

An assessment starts by considering your strengths, the support you can get within your community and then how other services or equipment could meet your care and support needs. 

It is vital that you give as much detail about your day to day life as possible. Think about all aspects of your life, such as:

  • personal care
  • washing
  • showering
  • dressing
  • going to the toilet
  • preparing meals
  • shopping

What is the aim of the conversation?

It is to:

  • Understand your strengths and the things you enjoy, as well as the areas of your life that may be difficult for you. This will include your cultural or spiritual needs.  
  • Support you to understand your situation and what you can do to reduce or delay the need for social care support.  
  • Identify needs that could be reduced, or delayed by providing short term support (reablement) or with advice and information.  
  • Understand how you manage throughout the day. This could be practical tasks such as washing, dressing and getting around your home.  
  • Establish how your needs impact on your daily life and your well-being.  
  • See whether you are able to get involved in activities in your local community. Are you struggling to attend activities that you used to enjoy and are important to you?  
  • See if you are able to see or speak to family and friends.  
  • Understand the needs of your carer if you have one.  
  • Look at the caring responsibilities you might have for someone else.  
  • Understand what you would like to be able to achieve - your goals in life.  
  • Check your safety around the house and when you are out.

Following this process, a decision will then be made about your  eligibility for local authority funded care and support.

Additional information 

  • Which? provides further information and checklists that can used to prepare for a care and needs support assessment.
  • Disability rights UK provides further information about assessment, eligibility and support planning.
  • Age UK provide information about needs assesments.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17