We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Vision loss

There are over one million people registered as blind or partially sighted in the UK.

There are a further 700,000 people who find reading standard print difficult.

Less than 5% of registered blind people are totally without sight.

What support is available?

Do you have a sight or hearing difficulty? We can assess whether care services would help you through an assessment.

We can give advice to help you maintain your independence. We can also talk to you about equipment which can help you in your everyday life. 

How do I find equipment?

If you need equipment to help overcome problems due to vision loss, use the equipment catalogue to search and find products to help.

You can also use this free online self-assessment to look at ways of helping you in your home.

How do I get an advocate? 

If you need support to help you to make informed decsions, and advocate will be able to help you. We can arrange an independent advocate for you.

How do I register as blind?

We keep a register of blind and partially sighted people living in Staffordshire. Registration is voluntary.

A consultant ophthalmologist from the hospital has to complete a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI) form.

We will register you as either:

  • sight impaired


  • severely sight impaired

Once you are registered, your documents will be posted to you.

Why register?

Some benefits are only for registered severely sight impaired or blind people.

Some travel concessions are only for people who are blind or partially sighted.

Intervener service

We work with Sense West Midlands. We can provide this service for deafblind adults and children. 

Interveners work with people who have severe congenital sight and hearing disabilities. They work one-to-one to help with learning communication, independence and new skills.

To make a referral, contact:

The Information Referral Officer
Sense West Midlands
Birkdate Avenue
Selly Oak
B29 6UB

Phone: 0121 4152723 or 0121 415 2720

Further information

The Benefits Agency have booklets about benefits that are in large print and on tape. They have advisers to help you with claims and questions about benefits.

The Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) can support visually impaired people.

There are many organisations run for and by people with a sight impairment, such as:

See below for organisations that can help and support you. These include education, employment, leisure activities and entertainment:

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17