We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Hearing loss

We follow policies and practices to help maintain deaf culture in the hearing world.

How do I get an assessment?

Do you have a sight or hearing difficulty? We can assess whether care services would help you through an assessment.

What support is available? 

We can give advice to help you maintain your independence. We can also talk to you about equipment which can help you in your everyday life.

Search for equipment 

Do you need equipment to help overcome problems as a result of hearing loss? Use the equipment catalogue to search and find products that you can use.

You can also use a free online self-assessment to look at ways of helping yourself with hearing loss in your own home.

Getting an interpreter

We can arrange for an interpreter if there are issues around care and support. We can also arrange for an interpreter for visits to the doctor, hospital, job centre and so on.

Interpreters are available for:

  • British sign language

  • Deaf/blind communication

  • Lip speaking

  • Note taking

  • Speech to text (speed text)

  • Palan type

  • Hands on signing

  • Sign supported english

For further information please contact:

Intervener service

We work with Sense West Midlands. We can provide this service for deafblind adults and children. 

Interveners work with people who have severe congenital sight and hearing disabilities. They work one-to-one to help with learning communication, independence and new skills.

To make a referral, contact:

The Information Referral Officer
Sense West Midlands
Birkdate Avenue
Selly Oak
B29 6UB

Phone: 0121 4152723 or 0121 415 2720

Communicator guides

Communicator guides can help you:

  • Remain independent within the community
  • Access information
  • Help with mobility and aid communication


Telephone: 01733 213490
Email: info@aboutme.org.uk

What's available at my local library?

Hearing loops are available in some Staffordshire libraries.

Sub-titled videos are available free of charge on request. 

If you are learning British Sign Language, tutors on video are available. You can also borrow courses on CD-Rom.

How do I get an advocate? 

If you need support to help you to make informed decsions an advocate will be able to help you. We can arrange an independent advocate for you.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17