Staffordshire Countryside Explorer
Staffordshire County Council has been awarded £355,000 of EU funding from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development to develop the Staffordshire Countryside Explorer project at three country parks: Cannock Chase, Chasewater and Greenway Bank.
The county council has committed money raised from car parking fees at country parks, and Lichfield District Council has provided contributions through its Community Infrastructure Levy fund, to take the total project investment close to £450,000.
All three sites will have new welcome and site-map panels. The following improvements are also planned:
Cannock Chase and Chasewater Country Parks
- New and improved children’s play areas
- New interpretation panels
- Multi-media displays inside Marquis Drive Visitor Centre and Chasewater Innovation Centre
- A new walking route will also be developed between the two country parks
Chasewater Country Park
- Lichfield District Council’s £44,000 Community Infrastructure Levy award from contributions by housebuilders is to help offset the effects of more people using community facilities at Chasewater.
- It will help fund the new play area at Chasewater, and an all-weather shelter, as well as supporting the installation of outdoor gym equipment, footpath and watercourse improvements, and landscaping works on the South Shore.
Greenway Bank Country Park
- A new heritage trail will be developed around the country park, with outdoor interpretation panels and audio units being installed, relating to points of interest along the route.