We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.


What is a statutory assessment?

Education, health and care plans (EHC) have replaced the old ‘statement of special educational need’.

Education, health and social care professionals work together with parents. You can address all your children’s needs in one process. The system is much easier and quicker. You now have the power to control personal budgets for your children with profound health and learning needs.

Who can refer my child? 

Referrals for assessment can come from a variety of sources: 

  • A parent or carer
  • The school or other educational setting
  • The Health Authority or Social Services Department 

Parent or carer referral 

You may request an assessment if: 

  • Despite the support provided by the school your child fails to make adequate progress
  • Your pre-school child has complex needs 

You should discuss your concerns with your child's school. If you still feel it necessary to ask for a statutory assessment you must: 

  • Clearly explain the reasons for your request.
  • Provide information on the support and help you already get for your child. Your school may give you this information if you ask. 

If your child is referred for a statutory assessment: 

  • You will have the opportunity to discuss decisions with us at every stage.
  • You will be able to express your views. 

You know your child better than anyone else and your opinions are important. 

School referral 

The school may decide that your child is failing to make adequate progress.

They should discuss this with you. If you agree, they could request a statutory assessment. 

Other referrals 

Health services and social services departments may contact us about a child. This is particularly likely with children under five years of age with complex needs. 

How do I apply for an assessment?

More information about the assessment process can be found on Staffordshire's SEND Local Offer site.

There are no results that match your criteria.

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17