We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

How are places allocated?

How are places allocated?

Please view the PDF Document Summary of September 2018 Admissions to Oversubscribed Secondary Schools (293 KB) for information on how places were allocated at oversubscribed schools last year. Please note this information is accurate as at 23 February 2018 and is subject to change after this date.

Staffordshire County Council does not operate a first preference first or first come first served policy - this is in accordance with the law. This means that every school listed in your application will be considered separately and fairly against the individual school’s published admission criteria.

If you could be offered a place at more than one preferred school against the published admission criteria, a place has been allocated at your highest preferred school. If a place could not be offered at any of your preferred schools, a place has been allocated at a school where places are still available. 

Is priority for admission given to children who attend particular primary or middle schools?

No. Places are allocated in strict accordance with the published admission arrangements and whilst we acknowledge that schools do work closely with their local pyramid schools, these close links do not automatically form part of the admission criteria and places are not allocated with these links in mind.

A very small number of maintained secondary schools choose to name primary or middle schools as major contributors under criterion (5) of the admission arrangements but there is no guaranteed admission and parents must still apply.

Some schools that are their own admissions authority, also choose to give priority to pupils attending certain primary or middle schools and these are indicated in the admission arrangements.

Pupils attending the listed primary or middle school are not guaranteed admission to their preferred school they simply have a higher priority for admission than other children who reside outside of the defined catchment area or do not have any elder sibling attending the school.

Where can I find details of how places have been allocated in previous years?

As well as the data provided at the top of this page, information is available in the PDF DocumentSummary of September 2017 Admissions to Secondary Schools (401KB).

How can I find out the catchment school for a certain address?

The County Council has a search facility to enable you to check the catchment schools for various addresses.  Your nearest school may not be your catchment area school.  Please note there is no guaranteed admission to your catchment area school, allocations will be dependent on the availability of spaces in the relevant year group. Catchment areas are also subject to review and may alter from year to year.  There are some schools in Staffordshire who do not operate a catchment area for admissions purposes.

You may request a copy of individual school catchment areas by contacting the Customer Contact Centre on 0300 111 8007 or admissions@staffordshire.gov.uk

What is the relevance of a Published Admission Number?

Each school has a Published Admission Number (PAN), which is the maximum number of pupils that the school can admit taking into account the accommodation and resources available. Each school’s Published Admissions Number can be found within the admission arrangements or in the Information to Parents Booklet.

What is the ‘Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme’?

The scheme indicates the way in which we co-ordinate our admission arrangements with other neighbouring authorities and schools that are their own admissions authority. The purpose of the scheme is to ensure that each pupil living within Staffordshire receives only one offer of a school place, whether that be at a school within the county or one maintained by a neighbouring authority.

What if I am moving home?

If you have applied for a community or voluntary controlled school, you needed to provide satisfactory evidence of a new home address (e.g. a solicitor’s letter confirming a completion date) by 25 January 2019, in order for this to have been taken into consideration when deciding on the offer of a school place. Otherwise decisions have been made based on the address supplied by your child’s primary school. Please note that an ‘intention to move’ is not be used when allocating places.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17