We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

In year admissions

This guidance is for parents or carers of children already of school age who are wishing to move to a Staffordshire school during the school year.

Please note: If you wish to apply for a school in another local authority area please contact that authority for details of how to apply.

How do I find out about schools in my area?

You can find your catchment area school or a list of schools in your area using our schools guide

We can show you the likelihood of available places at a school. This can only be confirmed once we have approached the school on your behalf.

The Department for Education also provides a search facility so you can compare schools.

There are issues with my child's current school, what do I do?

Try to sort out issues with the head teacher or governors of the current school before applying to move.

You should not take the decision to move schools lightly. If there are issues with the current school then making an application should be the last resort.

Any caseworkers involved with your child's education (Education Welfare, Family Engagement Workers, Special Educational Needs or Social Workers) should be consulted before making an application to change schools.

Don't withdraw your child from their current school without first getting an offer at another school. Your child may be out of school for a long time.

Is any support available?

You should speak to your child's current school to discuss the reasons why you wish to change schools. Often you can resolve issues without the need to change schools.

The decision to change schools can sometimes have a negative effect upon a child's education. You need to consider the issues carefully.

How do I apply for an in-year admission to school?

You will need to complete a in-year application form.

Please note:

  • All sections of the application form must be completed.
  • The form should be returned directly to your preferred school. The school will then notify you of the outcome.
  • Anyone with parental responsibility can apply. However, parents are expected to agree on school places before an application is made. The local authority or admission authority is not in a position to intervene in disputes between parents over school applications and will ask that these are resolved privately. 

How long will it take to process my application?

Schools process applications as soon as they can. They try to process applications within 7 working days.

However, here is no guarantee you will receive an offer of a school place within 15 working days.

We are moving from overseas, what do I do?

Please see the children from overseas for information.

My child has a statement of special educational needs or an education, health and care plan, what do I do?

If your child has a full statement of special educational needs or education, health and care plan, you must discuss your request with the assessment officer for your child's statement.

Do not use the mid-year application form.

Contact details for district assessment officers

  • Newcastle and Moorlands - 01782 297524
  • Stafford and South Staffordshire - 01785 356949
  • Lichfield and Cannock - 01543 512050
  • East Staffordshire and Tamworth - 01283 239755

Is there any help for vulnerable children? 

Some vulnerable children may find it difficult to get a place in a school. They can, in some cases, remain out of school for a long time. Please view the in year fair access protocol and fair access protocol guide for parents for further help.

What if I want to apply for a school outside of Staffordshire?

Different local authorities have different arrangements for dealing with in year applications.

You can contact the school you wish to apply for directly to find out how you need to apply.

What happens if my child is refused a place at my preferred school?

If your child is refused a place at your preferred school you have the right of appeal. 

Note: to appeal you must have applied for a school place by completing an in-year application form. You must also have received a refusal in writing from the school. 

If you have moved into the county and you do not have a school place we will work with you to offer an alternative school.

Reception, year 1 and year 2 

If your preferred school refuses a place and infant class size legislation applies, your child's name will be placed on a waiting list.

Waiting lists are maintained under the relevant authority's admission arrangements. Community controlled and voluntary controlled schools share the same admissions criteria. However, schools that are their own admission authority, such as academies and foundation schools have their own individual criteria.

We will be in touch if a place becomes available at your preferred school and we are able to offer your child a place.

How will my child get to school? 

Further information is available on the school transport pages.

My child has free school meals, what do I do?

If you are claiming free school meals for your child and your application to change school is successful, you will need to notify the free school meals service of your change in circumstances.

If you need further assistance please contact the free school meals team.

How do I apply for a university technical college (UTC)?

In the same way that you would apply for a place at any other school in Staffordshire. Please approach the individual UTC direct to enquire about their mid-year application procedure.

Further information is also on the UTC page.

Further information

Not found what you're looking for? Please contact us on 0300 111 8007 or email admissions@staffordshire.gov.uk.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17