We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Children from overseas

All applications (whether from overseas or not) must have a declaration of the nationality of the child.

Children from European Economic Area (EEA) countries

Children who are eligible for British Citizen passports (but not British Dependent Territories or British Overseas passports) have a right to a place in a state school. EEA Nationals are eligible as well.

See the current EEA countries page for more information.

Children from non-EEA countries

If your nationality is not British or from an EEA country you do not have an automatic right to a school place. You must explain how you believe your child is entitled to an education. You must provide evidence for this.

In most cases your child will have a visa to state that they are a dependent of a person who is validly in the country. In which case you can register them at a school.

Your child may also be entitled to an education if they hold an EEA Family Permit. This means they are non-EEA nationals but are in the country as dependents of a person who is an EEA national.

Where a visa states 'no recourse to public funds', this does not limit access to state education.

In all cases we will not give a firm offer of a school place until your child is actually in the UK or we have received confirmation that they will be eligible to enter the country.

Short term applications for school places

Children will only be admitted to a school if they have moved to the country.

Holidaymakers or short term visitors to the country are unlikely to make an application to a maintained school. Should you make such an application then you should contact us for further advice.

There are no results that match your criteria.

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17