Post 16 Transport
Travelling to school and college for 6th form students
Young people must now continue in education or training until they reach 18.
This change does not mean that free travel assistance will be provided beyond year 11 as they do not have to stay at school.
For example they can choose to:
- Work full time and study part time.
- Be involved in part time training whilst volunteering.
- Continue full time study at school or college. education. Now you'll want to be equally smart when choosing how to get there.
Some students will have had free home to school transport but this ends when you finish year 11.
How you will get to your school or college is your choice but you may want to consider:
- Buying a pass directly from a public bus company or paying daily fares
- Asking the school or college to see if they arrange any transport themselves.
- The 16-19 bursary fund may be able to help you with your travel costs.
Please see our post 16 transport statement for more details