We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Post 16 Transport

Trav"elling to school and college for 6th form students

Young people must now continue in education or training until they reach 18.

This change does not mean that free travel assistance will be provided beyond year 11 as they do not have to stay at school.

For example they can choose to:

  • Work full time and study part time.  
  • Be involved in part time training whilst volunteering.  
  • Continue full time study at school or college. education. Now you'll want to be equally smart when choosing how to get there.

Some students will have had free home to school transport but this ends when you finish year 11.

How you will get to your school or college is your choice but here are a few options you may want to consider:

  • Using the Your Staffordshire Card
  • Buying a pass directly from a public bus company or paying daily fares
  • Asking the school or college to see if they arrange any transport themselves.
  • The 16-19 bursary fund may be able to help you with your travel costs.

Staffordshire post 16 transport scheme

Who's eligible?

Please note: for students with a learning difficulty or disability which prevents them from using public transport or walking to school or college, a different scheme applies.

To be eligible for help under the mainstream scheme you must meet all the following criteria:

  • Be 19 years old or younger on 1 September of the academic year in which you want travel assistance.
  • Studying at level 3 or below, for 16 hours a week or more of timetabled study.
  • Attend your catchment school or the closest learning provider offering the course.
  • The learning provider must be between 3 and 15 miles away.
  • You meet the low income criteria shown below.


  • There must be transport already in place which you can use (public transport, contracted by school or college).
  • You must make a contribution of £494 towards the cost (this can be paid in installments).

How do I apply?

See the how to apply page.

How is assistance provided?

We provide help with transport in the form of a subsidised public bus pass. If no suitable public service is available we may offer a seat on a contracted vehicle or pay a petrol allowance.

Please note: there is no variation in the amount payable for this scheme dependent on the number of days or distance travelled. The price remains the same.

What is a low income?

The definition of low income includes students who meet the criteria to receive free school meals. The parent or carer must be in receipt of one of the following:

  • Income support
  • Income based job seekers allowance
  • Income based employment and support allowance
  • Child tax credit but not working tax credit with a household income of less than £16,190
  • Guaranteed pension credit, or support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The maximum level of working tax credit
  • Universal credit with an annual net earned household income of no more than £7,400 as assessed by earning from up to 3 of your most recent assessment periods. Your net earned income is your household income after taxes and deductions and does not include income from Universal Credit or any other benefits you may receive.

You must provide proof of receipt of one of these with your application form. This could be:

  • A copy of your recent award notice for benefits you receive
  • A letter from the Home Office detailing support as an asylum seeker
  • A copy of your Tax Credit Statement TC602.
  • Copies of the three most recent Universal Credit statements or entitlement letters (if you have been on Universal Credit less than 3 months please provide copies of the all the statements or entitlement letters you have received so far). Your statements are obtained by you from your online Universal Credit account. If you don't have an online Universal Credit account, to request copies of your entitlement letters please contact the Department for Work and Pensions or your Jobcentre Plus office. 

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • google17
  • intagram17
  • email17