View the school closure list
How will I know if my child's school is closed?
Headteachers can update this web site in real time, allowing parents to get up to date information on their child's school in the quickest way possible.
Any school closures reported to the local authority by the Headteacher will display on the school closures list and will also be sent to those parents who have signed up to receive alerts.
Other methods of communication may include:
- Announcement on the local radio stations (radio stations will refer to this web site for up to date information)
- Message on school web site and school answerphone
- Notice on school gates
Sign up for alerts
Sign up for school closure alerts via text message and email, so that we can notify you immediately when your school informs us of a closure.
How is the decision to close a school made?
We do not make a blanket decision to close all schools due to inclement weather.
The decision to close a school is made by the Headteacher. They have to determine whether children can travel safely to and from school and if the site will remain safe throughout the day.
A risk assessment is conducted taking into account a range of factors including:
- State of pathways, steps and slopes around the school
- Condition of roads and pathways in the local area
- If the school's heating, lighting and water is working correctly
- Whether catering can be provided
- Availability of public transport and school coaches
- Weather forecast
Schools may also need to close due to other unforeseen circumstances such as heating failure, burst water pipe, etc.
It is recommended that a decision to close the school is made as early as possible, in order to inform parents/carers.
I am a Headteacher, how do I close my school?
Please visit the Staffordshire Learning Net and log in.