ICT Courses Available
What's on offer?
Absolute beginners' courses
We work with the Library and Information Service to offer computer classes for the complete beginner.
- Online basics
- Laptop basics
- iPad basics
- Tablet basics
The courses normally last around 6 - 7weeks and include guidance on the basic use of a computer or device, internet and e-mail.
These cost £50 each, however, they are free if you are looking for work, or are in receipt of an income related benefit.
Courses for people with some knowledge of computers
These courses last 2 hours a week for 5 weeks (10 hours). They are suitable for those with some basic knowledge of using a computer or other device.
Learners normally need to have previously completed a basic course.
These cost £40 each, however they are free if you are looking for work, or are in receipt of an income related benefit.
These courses include:
- Online Plus - including using the internet interactively, emailing with attachments, shopping online.
- Introduction to MS Office - including using office software, word processing, spreadsheets, posters and presentations.
- Digital Photo Management - including, transferring photos to a computer, managing your photos on the computer, backing up, sharing and enhancing photos.
- iPad Plus - a course specifically for those with an iPad or iPad mini tablet. Including how to send an email, use the internet, connect to wifi, download apps, video calls, download apps, ebooks and magazine.
- Tablet Plus - a basic tablet course similar to the above but for those with android devices, for example Samsung, Google Nexus or Kindle Fire.
Alternative computer courses may also be available. For courses in libraries please contact your library or visit the library to find out more. For courses in community venues please contact the venue concerned.
ITQ Level 1 Award for IT Users
This is available in selected venues around the county. The course runs for up to 48 hours though it may be completed in less time.
Successful completion leads to a nationally recognised qualification in:
- Word processing
- E-mail and electronic calendars.
This is offered free for Job Seekers and those on income related benefits. For information on whether we are delivering in your area then please contact us on the details below.
How do I book?
If you're interested in booking onto one of our courses you can fill out our contact form and a member of our team will be in touch.
Online tutorials and courses
If you want to try something straightaway have a go at these:
- IDEA - Develop digital skills
- Learn my way - Making online easy and learn how to use computers
- Digital Unite – Keep up-to-date with news, information about IT. Great tips and guides
- BBC Learning - Free IT resources and courses