Death and bereavement
When somebody dies you need to talk to some organisations and complete certain documents needed by law. If you are a relative or friend, you can do some of these things yourself. Others will need to be done by the executor or administrator of the estate.
What do I do in the first few days?
- If there is no next of kin who will sort out the estate, then get probate.
- Tell the family doctor.
- Contact a funeral director. If the death was at home or a nursing home they will take the deceased to a chapel of rest.
- Make arrangements for the funeral.
- Get a medical certificate of cause of death signed by a doctor, or contact the coroner’s office for advice if they are involved.
- Register the death at the Register Office. You can book an appointment online. At the appointment you can use the tell us once service to tell other govermment departments and local authority services for you.