How do I register a birth when the father has died before the child is conceived?
- How do I register a birth when the father has died before the child is conceived?
Where a child is conceived as a result of fertility treatment after the death of a man receiving treatment with the mother, the man can be registered as the child's father on production of the following documentary evidence:
- His written consent to the fertility treatment and to being named as the child's father in the birth register (not required where the man died before 18th September 2003)
- Written confirmation from the clinic that the man's consent had not been withdrawn (not required where the father died before 18th September 2003)
- The woman's written request for the man to be named as the father in the birth register
- Written confirmation of the fertility treatment from a medical source, for example the fertility clinic, the mother's own doctor or hospital doctor
- The original copy of the man's death certificate
- A marriage certificate (if applicable)
Recording the man as the child's father in any of these circumstances does not mean that he will be treated in law as the child's father other than for registration purposes.
Nor does it give the child any legal status or rights concerning for example inheritance or nationality.