Weights and measures

Frequently asked questions


We test and calibrate public weighbridges. The list below details all public weighbridges, prices and opening times within Staffordshire.

You should confirm details with the weighbridge operator before you visit.

If you are a business wanting information on testing and certification of a weighbridge please contact us on the number above.

Please note: The document is in PDF format. You will need a PDF reader such as Acrobat Reader to read them.


Staffordshire Trading Standards Business Advice team:

Phone: 0300 111 8045
Minicom: 01785 276207 


You should contact your local trading standards team.

Please note: Kitchen scales are not required to be as accurate as the trader's scales. Don't be surprised if the goods are later found to be the correct weight.

All equipment must pass an independent accuracy test before it can be used to weigh or measure goods.
No, but when the trader weighs the goods, they must make the weight known to you by one of the following ways:
  • Telling you.
  • On a receipt or ticket.
  • Allowing you to see the weight display on the scale.
Yes. The exceptions to the rule are:
  • Free flow beers.
  • Ciders and milk in returnable bottles. The pint may still be used.
  • Precious metals and stones. The ounce troy may still be used.
Yes, but the trader must weigh them in metric units.
The most common metric conversions are between mm, cm, m and km.
  • 1 cm = 10 mm
  • 1 m = 100 cm = 1000 mm
  • 1 km = 1,000 m = 100,000 cm = 1,000,000 mm
  • kilo means 1,000, so 1 km = 1000 m
  • centi means 1/100th, so 1 cm = 1/100th m
  • milli means 1/1000th, so 1 mm = 1/1000th m 

Once confident with these conversions, converting units of mass and capacity is easier:

  • 1 km = 1,000 m, so 1 kg = 1,000 g
  • 1 m = 100 cm, so 1 l (litre) = 100 cl (centilitres)
  • 1 m = 1,000 mm, so 1 g = 1,000 mg (milligrams) 
Some bags of crisps may contain more than 30g and some less. The manufacturer must ensure that on average the contents of the bags in a batch are 30g.

All petrol pumps are tested before use by the public, and sealed to prevent tampering. However, this may occur because of the following:

  • The price per litre has increased since you last used the garage.
  • Your gauge may be faulty or inaccurate.

  • Since the pump was last checked it may have developed a fault giving you short measure.

If you still think there is a problem with the pump, please remember to record:

  • The pump number
  • Grade of fuel
  • Time it was used


It is illegal to give short measure. The pub must measure the beer using one of the following:
  • Crown stamped or CE marked lined glasses
  • Crown stamped or CE marked brim glasses
  • Unstamped oversized glasses
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11

There are no results that match your criteria.

How do you rate your experience with this website today?

rate your experience with this website as good rate your experience with this website as average rate your experience with this website as poor
  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Print friendly version of this page