Planning your visit to the recycling centre
We are all being asked to stay at home as much as possible and to maintain social distancing if you do go out. All of Staffordshire's Recycling centres are open for disposal of waste and recycling with some temporary restrictions in place to keep you and our staff safe.
With social distancing and regular cleansing in place visits can take longer. To reduce potential queueing please minimise your trips where possible.
What can I do to minimise journeys to the Recycling centre?
- Make use of your kerbside waste and recycling bins as far as possible. To find out what you can dispose of at the kerbside, please see your local council's website.
- When buying new products, check if the company offers a ‘take-back’ scheme where your old products will be taken away for disposal or refurbishment.
- Some online community swap, donate and second-hand networks have re-opened; check online for selling and donating good quality used items to people in your local area.
Be prepared for your visit
Before you visit
- Separate out and only bring the waste you need to essentially dispose of, this will help us keep waiting times down and help make your journey through the site quicker and easier.
- Separate your waste into different waste types and safely organise within your vehicle to make it easier to unload and dispose of once it is your turn. The waste types we accept may change daily, so please check back for the latest information on the wastes we are not currently accepting.
- Remember, site staff cannot assist you in unloading your vehicle, so please only bring waste that you can safely lift and carry on your own.
When you arrive
- Queues may be longer than normal, which could mean spending some time at a standstill. Please ensure your vehicle is not obstructing access for emergency services at any time and turn off your engine when queueing.
- Please be aware that the queue to the site may be closed earlier than the closing time to allow all those in the queue to access the site before closing. Site staff will notify drivers at the end of the queue and will signal the queue is closed to any new drivers attempting to join. Please observe these instructions, and any queue closure signs, as they are in place to keep all site users, and our staff, safe.
- When you reach the gate you will be greeted by staff who, whilst observing social distancing, will ask you where you reside (remember at this time sites are only accessible to Staffordshire residents), take down your vehicle registration, and will provide you with instructions on how to enter and use the site. Please listen carefully and observe all instructions given.
What will happen inside the recycling centre?
- On entering the site, please observe all signage including the speed limit.
- Please observe all site attendant instructions and we ask you for your patience during your visit. We understand that some of the changes we are having to put in place may cause some frustration, however, our site staff are working hard to keep everyone on site safe and healthy, and to help make your visit run as smoothly as possible in the circumstances. We thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
- Once through the gates, your vehicle will be queued in a holding area on site. Please do not exit your vehicle until you are called forward into an unloading bay when the site attendant signals you to do so.
- Whilst parked in the holding area, it may be useful to look around to see where you will need to take your waste when it is your turn. All containers are clearly labelled with the waste types which you can recycle or dispose of.
- Remember children must not exit the vehicle at any time on the site for safety reasons. If you have a disability and have an additional person with you to drive or unload the vehicle, please ensure only one person leaves the vehicle whilst on site.
- Observe social distancing at all times, please stay 2 metres away from other site users and observe signage and paint markings around the containers which will indicate where to wait to maintain distance.
- Please be aware that we will regularly pause the unloading of all vehicles to perform cleansing of the site and to compact containers to make more room for our resident’s waste; your wait time may be a little longer as a result. We ask that you be patient and stay in your vehicle during this time until the site attendants have completed these activities and have instructed that you may begin unloading.
For more information, please see our site rules and FAQs.
Thank you for your understanding and patience.