Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button. No, give me more info


What is the fund?

Each County Councillor whose division is affected by Phase 2a of HS2 has been allocated a budget of £3,500 to support the communities affected by the route. Application criteria will mirror those for the Phase One fund, as follows:

County CouncillorDivisionBudget
Cllr. Janet Eagland Lichfield Rural North £3,500
Cllr. Martyn Tittley Lichfield Rural West £3,500
Cllr. John Francis Stafford Trent Valley £3,500
Cllr. Jeremy Pert Eccleshall £3,500
Cllr. Ian Parry Stone Rural £3,500
Cllr. Jill Hood Stone Urban £500*
Cllr. Paul Northcote Newcastle Rural £3,500

Councillors can use the to:

  • Raise awareness. For example, producing information leaflets publicising HS2 consultations, mitigation, HS2 community newsletters and notification of public meetings/events.

  • Hire village halls/venues and the production of mitigation documents and plans.

  • Fund reasonable transport costs to support participation in the Phase 2a parliamentary process (standard class bus or rail).

Councillors cannot use the fund to:

  • Hire experts or consultants.

  • Fund travel expenses without prior discussion with the Local Member and agreement by the Director of Strategy, Governance and Change.

  • Support or promote any national campaign.

CanI apply for less than the cost of my proposal?

Yes, but we can't pay a grant unless you've raised or secured the rest of the funds. If your County Councillor recommends funding which is less than you have asked for, they must know how you will raise or secure any shortfall between what they are recommending and the total amount needed for your proposal.

Apply for funding

Before applying, please contact your local Councillor to talk aboutyour request. They will see if your proposal could be put forward for consideration, and check that they have the funds required to support your application.

Please note:funding cannot be allocated as a lump sum payment. This means that an application will need to be submitted each time funding is required.
You can apply for funding by completing the form below and sending it to your local Councillor.

Who approves the funding?

The Director of Strategy, Governance and Change normally approves a proposal by a Local Member to spend from his/her HS2 allocation unless:

  • The proposal is one which is reserved to the County Council under Appendix 1 of this Constitution.

  • It is contrary to a County Council or Cabinet policy.

  • The Director of Director of Strategy, Governance and Change advises it is unlawful.

  • It is a matter which would involve a payment or support to national HS2 campaign groups.

  • It would create an on-going financial commitment.

  • It relates to a function which is the legal responsibility of another statutory body or organisation.

What is needed for approval?

It is expected that applications for grant money will include supporting information showing expected costs, including estimates from third party organisations where relevant. On receipt of an application, the County Council reserves the right to request further evidence demonstrating that expenditure is in line with the terms and conditions of the scheme.

How is payment made?

Payment of grants will be made via BACS transfer to an action group or Parish Council bank account. Transfer will not be made to individuals, except
in the case of travel expenses relating to Select Committee. Travel receipts
and evidence of appearance at committee must be provided.

In any financial year, no proposal to spend an allocation of the fund will be approved after 31 January of that financial year.

Can payments be granted for past actions?

After discussion and approval with the Local Member, payments can be made for past actions under the scheme. All applications for these payments must be submitted with proof of expenditure, e.g. receipts and invoices.

Applications for retrospective payments must be received within three months from the date the money was spent.


The Director of Strategy, Governance and Change may issue further guidance as necessary.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest transport news
Funding to help deliver Staffordshires future electric vehicle charging network welcomed

Funding to help deliver Staffordshires future electric vehicle charging network welcomed

Funding worth more than £5 million to help deliver a plan for the county's future electric vehicle charging network has been welcomed by the county council.
31 March 2023
Tutbury roundabout to be resurfaced

Tutbury roundabout to be resurfaced

A roundabout in Burton will undergo a full resurfacing next week, as part of a £6 million investment into highways in the area.
31 March 2023
Shop local plea as highways team works at pace to complete essential road scheme

Shop local plea as highways team works at pace to complete essential road scheme

People travelling through two north Staffordshire villages and their residents are being urged to support local businesses impacted by an essential road improvement scheme.
30 March 2023
New Deal Struck to Improve Staffordshire's Highways

New Deal Struck to Improve Staffordshire's Highways

A new deal has been agreed to maintain and improve Staffordshire's major highways network for the benefit of residents, businesses and to support the growth of the county's economy.
17 March 2023

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom