We have a team dedicated to working with schools in Staffordshire to offer support and resources relating to Air Quality. Anti-Idling toolkits can be delivered to your school for you to use and we have a number of lesson plans and resources available for download (Promotional Material tab on right) for all schools.
The team have had great success influencing sustainable mode of travel rates, improving air quality around schools and receiving awards for the joint working between schools and our team.
Schools that engage with staff will have the option to get the support of a School Travel Advisor who will assist your school with a tailored Travel Plan and a range of free initiatives and incentives, some of which are listed below:
- Curriculum linked activities and lesson plans for KS1, KS2 & KS3 (see below).
- Modeshift Stars travel planning tool free for the school, a rewards-based scheme to influence travel modes.
- Air Quality Monitoring using diffusion tube testing and personal air quality monitoring toolkit.
- Calendar of campaigns for your school to get involved with, supported with resources
- Cycle training and other Bikeabiity modules, as well as resource packs for after school activities.
- Parent engagement at open days, school fairs and parent’s evenings.
- Support for your school council, eco council or active travel council with regular newsletters.
- Competitions, activities and rewards for your school to take part in.
- Assemblies, lessons and activities linked to air quality and active travel. These can also be delivered 'virtually'.
- Attending events such as school fetes supported by Evie, the electric vehicle with our staff – This acts as a hub for information and interaction with staff to promote active and sustainable travel to parents and children.* Subject to availability*
Benefits to your school include:
- Improved air quality - Previous engagement has seen air pollution levels around the school fall by over 20%.
- Reduced car parking required and less traffic around the school.
- Lowers school carbon footprint.
- Increases health and well-being of staff, children and parents; as well as neighbours.
- Improving the image of the school.
- Improved concentration and learning - Research shows active travel affects classroom results.
If you would like your school to be involved in helping to improve the air you breathe, then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We can happily discuss what support, resources or events are available to you. We are already working with many schools around the county, but would love to offer this support to any school who would like to access it.
For more information on all our work with school please visit the Active School Travel page.