We have a team dedicated to working with schools affected by Air Quality Management Areas in both Staffordshire and Stoke-On-Trent. This affects schools in Newcastle-Under-Lyme, Cannock, Wolstanton, Kidsgrove, Leek, Burton and Stoke-On-Trent.
Even if your school is not in one of these areas we can still support your school with initiatives, campaigns and resources to improve air quality, active and sustainable travel and safety around your school.
Schools that engage with our INTO Air Quality Project will be able to get the support of a dedicated School Travel Advisor who will assist your school with a Tailored Travel Plan and a range of free initiatives and incentives, some of which are listed below:
- Modeshift Stars Travel Planning tool free for the school, rewards-based scheme.
- Air Quality Monitoring using Dfusion Testing and real-time hand-held monitors.
- Calendar of campaigns for your school to get involved with, supported with resources
- Cycle training and scooter training as well as resource packs for staff.
- Lesson plans, curriculum linked activities and lessons for KS1, KS2 & KS3
- Parent engagement at open days, school fairs and parent’s evenings.
- Support for your school council, eco council or active travel council.
- Competitions, activities and rewards for your school to take part in.
- Assemblies, lessons and activities linked to air quality and active travel.
- Attending events such as school fetes supported by the active travel van with our staff – This acts as a hub for information and interaction with staff to promote active and sustainable travel to parents and children.
Benefits to your school include:
- Improve air quality directly in the school area.
- Reduced car parking requirement and less traffic around the school.
- Lowers the school carbon footprint.
- Increases health and well-being of staff, children and parents; as well as neighbours.
- Helps improve the image of the school making it more appealing.
- Research shows that active travel improves classroom results and higher achieving.
- Helps with planning consent should you wish to expand.
If you would like your school to be involved in helping to improve the air you breathe, then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can happily discuss what support, resources or events are available to you. We are already working with many schools that are currently engaged but would love to work with more, including your school.