We have several Air Quality Management Areas in Staffordshire that are due to breaches in the annual objective for Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2). These breaches are linked to road traffic emissions, which is why we must look to reduce vehicle usage.
Poor air quality is an issue for every Staffordshire resident and business. Poor air quality has a detrimental effect on health which effects individuals, but this also has an impact on businesses through their staffs’ health and wellbeing and the image of the business, and its possible contribution to poor air quality.
This webpage is designed to let you know what services SCC can provide to your business through a Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs funded grant, should your business be within an air quality management area (detailed below). Even if your business is not inside an Air Quality Management Area, these pages can give you some ideas for events you could run to encourage staff to actively and sustainably travel.
Businesses that engage with our INTO Air Quality project will, as a first step, be required to carry out a survey with staff to get baseline information. Following analysis of the results we will look to provide appropriate support to the business to encourage Active and Sustainable travel amongst your staff.
- Active Travel Van with SCC staff – This is acts as a hub for information and interaction with Staff to promote active and sustainable travel.
- Pool Bikes – Business can borrow bikes from SCC and provide to staff as a taster.
- Car Share – Free access to Staffordshire Car Share Scheme.
- Cycle and walking maps.
- Post code mapping (if appropriate).
- Cycle training / led cycle ride.
- Public Transport – Taster tickets for staff.
- Business travel plan support.
Benefits to the business:
- Improve air quality directly in the businesses area.
- Reduced car parking requirement.
- Lowers the business carbon footprint.
- Increases health and well-being of staff.
- Helps with recruitment and retention of staff.
- Improves corporate image.
- Helps with planning consent should you wish to expand.
If you would like your business to be involved in helping to improve the air you breath, then please contact email@example.com and we can happily discuss what support, resources or events are available to you. We are already working with businesses who have already engaged, but would love more to contact us.
Below are links to various pages that offer advice or maps for walking, cycling, car sharing or public transport. Promoting these correctly to staff can have an impact in changing people’s travel habits with all the benefits listed above, and examples for promoting active and sustainable travel below.
- To promote car share, ensure some of the best parking spots are reserved to people who have registered with you as car sharing.
- Providing the right infrastructure such as showers and changing rooms for cyclists can help encourage staff to actively travel (studies show that active travellers have less sick days)
- Offer system for getting staff who have travelled sustainably/actively home in case of emergency. For example, you could make them aware in case of emergency where they need to get home that a taxi will be provided by the business or a member of staff will be released to take that person home.
Air Quality is an issue that effects everyone's health, but its worst effects are on the young and old and anyone with existing heart or breathing illnesses.