Posted on Monday 20th July 2020
Residents living in areas of Burton which have seen a spike in COVID-19 cases are being urged not to delay booking a test if they have symptoms of the virus.
A drive-through Mobile Testing Centre is now open at the Pirelli Stadium and people can book a test online at www.NHS.uk/coronavirus or by telephoning 119, where support is available in other languages.
Staffordshire County Council can also arrange home testing for those people who live in the affected areas of Shobnall, Anglesey and parts of Horninglow only and who can’t drive to a centre. People can book on 0300 111 8050.
Between July 4 and July 18 there have been 48 confirmed cases in Burton, with 39 of those in the three localised areas.
Dr Richard Harling, Staffordshire County Council’s Director of Health and Care, said:
It is important that if people do have any of the symptoms of; a high temperature, a new persistent cough or a loss of taste or smell, that they stay home and book a test immediately online or by phone.
While there are no plans to introduce any “lockdown” restrictions at the moment, we are making it clear that it is crucial that people in Burton do everything they can to help prevent the spread of infection further.
Getting the test is quick and simple and is the best way to help protect yourself, your family and the wider of community in Burton.
While your symptoms are likely to be mild, the risks to others can be much higher so, please don’t delay and book a test today if you have symptoms.”
The county council is working closely with East Staffordshire Borough Council, the NHS and the town’s communities in the call for people to follow national guidance carefully.
The guidance is to:
• Wash your hands regularly
• Limit your contact with people not in your household
• Stay at home when you can. If you do need to go out keep your distance – 2m ideally
• Wear face coverings on public transport now and in shops from July 24
• Self-isolate for seven days and book a test if you have symptoms
• Self-isolate for 14 days if you have been contacted by the NHS Test & Trace Service and told you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
You can find out more information at www.staffordshire.gov.uk/coronavirus