We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.
Homepage > Roads and highways > Permissions and licences > Permit to dig (temporary excavations)

Related content  


Temporary excavations (permit to dig)

What is a permit to dig?

A permit to dig can be given to contractors wishing to open the highway for a variety of reasons, such as for:

  • Trial Holes,
  • Works on private land that require the excavation of highway for 'tie-in' purposes,
  • Construction works for a vehicle access crossing point,
  • Placing or maintaining of apparatus.

Please note: Permits are only given to the person carrying out the works, not to the customer requesting them.

If you are unsure whether a permit is needed please contact us to check.

How much does it cost?

A permit costs £240 per street, in an unclassified street and not in a pedestrianised zone or £348 in a classified street (A, B, C) or in a pedestrianised zone.  We will aim to get your permit to you within 20 working days.  Plus £168 for each additional 200m length of road.

A cost of £54 will be charged if over and above fee where approval sought quicker than standard lead time of 20 days. This option is available where an application is made between 5 and 20 days before required and when the authority agrees to accelerate the process.

A cost of £82 per permit for abortive works where Permit processed but works cancelled before they were due to start (must be cancelled the working day before the proposed start date).  No refund payable if cancelled after the proposed works start date and inspections have been scheduled.

NB: failure to cancel a permit prior to the proposed start date will result in a reduced reimbursement.

How can I apply?

Please note: Applications must be made by the company who is planning to excavate the highway. Your company must be registered with us to apply for a permit to dig.

Before applying please read the excavations application conditions.

To apply, please complete the word doc  excavation application form (132 KB) and email it to nmu@staffordshire.gov.uk, or post it to:

Network Management Unit, 
Number 1 Staffordshire Place,
Tipping Street,  
ST16 2DH

Please contact us for further information and guidance.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • intagram17
  • email17