We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.
Homepage > Roads and highways > Permissions and licences > Installation of private apparatus (section 50 licence)

Related content  


Installation of private apparatus (section 50 licence)

What is a section 50 licence?

A section 50 licence allows a private individual to place or maintain apparatus in the highway. It may be needed for works to private drains and sewers as well as private gas, electricity and water services.

A licence can run for a limited period time, or for an undetermined period. If the duration is undetermined, the landowner is responsible for ensuring that the licence is amended if their land is sold to another party.

Before applying please read the PDF Document private apparatus information pack (162 KB)

How much does it cost?

A private licence for apparatus in the highway costs £352.

A permit to dig is also required for any works and will cost an additional £235 in an unclassified street and not in a pedestrianised zone or £340 in a classified street (A, B, C) or in a pedestrianised zone. Plus £164 for each additional 200m length of road.

How can I apply?

Please read the guidance and complete the application form at the bottom of the PDF Document private apparatus information pack (162 KB).

Please email completed forms to nmu@staffordshire.gov.uk, or post it to:

Network Control Hub, 
2 Staffordshire Place, 
Tipping Street, 
ST16 2DH

There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • intagram17
  • email17