List of streets maintainable at public expense
What is the list of streets?
The list of streets is directed under Section 36 (6) of the Highways Act 1980 and lists all streets which are believed to be highway maintainable at public expense (HMPE). We are using the initiative FindMyStreet which has been created jointly by GeoPlace and the Local Government Association to allow local authorities to easily comply with the duty of Section 36. FindMyStreet shows every street in England and Wales that’s held in the National Street Gazetteer. It will tell you where a street is, what its official name is, and the maintenance responsibility of that street. The data is created and maintained by local authorities, collected, and managed centrally by GeoPlace.
How do I find a street on the list of streets?
Please visit FindMyStreet and use either the map search or the list of streets function.
List of streets disclaimer
- The list has been prepared using the available information from records we have compiled and is correct to the best of our knowledge. It does not, however, constitute a definitive statement as to the status of any particular highway.
- This is not a comprehensive list of the entire highway network in Staffordshire although the majority of streets are included for information purposes.
- The extent of the HMPE is not available on the list and can only be determined through the Highway Extent request process.
- The list of is a live record and is constantly being amended and updated. Like many rural authorities, where some highways have no name at all, we usually record our information using a road numbering reference system. More information will update the list as it becomes available.
- The list does not contain recorded Public Rights of Way as shown on our 1976 Definitive Map, nor does it contain streets that are privately maintained.
- The list is available for personal/non-commercial use and is free to view.